Ham Road School

Ham Road School ghost montage c1905 / 2000 ©Roger Bateman

The school was built in 1875 as a Board School in Ham Road for an estimated attendance of 240. It was later enlarged in 1896 and 1907. By 1904 attendance was 557, in three departments, to which a junior mixed department was added in 1913. The school was reorganized, in partly new buildings, in 1915, the older children going to Victoria Upper Council school. The Headmaster from 1901 until 1915, Oswald Ball (1871-1954) moved to become headmaster at Victoria Road. Ham Road School ceased to be a school in 1938, when there was an attendance of 551 in junior mixed and infant departments, to be replaced by schools in the newly enlarged Victoria Road Schools.

Ham Road School c1895 before enlargement to the West. Note cupola later removed.
© Doris Steers Collection
c1920’s Ham Road School playground with rail sidings in background. ©Peggy McCulloch Collection
Later addition to West end. c1896
Headmasters house in Ham Road. From the Sussex Archaeological Society Marlipins archives

After closure the Ham Road buildings was used as a commercial bakers (Spurrier and Son) and latterly Caxton Publishers and Printers. In 2015 it was converted to flats and apartments.

Headmasters house in 2022
2022 flats converted from former commercial premises

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *