Michael Norman Collection
An opportunity to wander around the Shoreham of forty years ago and see those old buildings that are now lost to us forever.
ShorehambySea.com member Ian Newman has kindly donated the following images he has acquired from part of the collection that were largely photographed and put together by the late Shoreham historian Michael Norman. The majority of these were taken during the 1950’s and 70’s at a time when many of the town’s more important and historical buildings were still standing – the larger properties of St.Wilfrid’s, Longcroft and Athol House in particular but also a good many of our smaller street houses and cottages that have since disappeared.
Towards the end of the gallery a few of the older, more unusual images of special interest from the collection have also been included.
Searching: Each image has a title and description. You can search for specific image content by using CTRL+F on your keyboard, (CMD+F on a Mac) and then mouse-over the resulting images to reveal the title.
MN1 October1975 looking south-west from Tarmount (4 images joined RB) 2
MN2 October 1975 looking east from Surrey Street:Tarmount - old Holloways engineering works ahead (two images joined)
MN3a St. Wilfrids Oct 1975
MN3b Sy. Wilfrids looking north-west Oct 1975
MN4a 1950 Ham Road looking west
MN4b Looking south-west from the demolished Surrey Street to the rear of houses in New Road Oct 1975
MN4b Surrey Street looking south with St. Wilfrids and the chapel on the right shortly before demolition
MN5a June 1979 Ham Road looking east
MN5b Ham Road police station and St.Wilfrid's beyond June 1979
MN7a undated but with other photos of 1970's
MN8a Looking west from New Road May:June 1973
MN8a New Road looking east May 1973
MN10b Looking west to Athol House and Tarmount May 1973
MN11b Athol House from New Road May 1973
MN12ab Athol House in 1973 and (right) during a garden party held by the Gates family, wealthy shipowners who lived there in the 19th century
MN12b Looking north across New Road to Athol House and beyond May 1973
MN15 Brighton Road at junction to Albion Cottages May:June 1958
MN17 Parsons Yard, Brighton Road later Frosts showrooms c.1951
MN17a East of Kingston Bridge undated but 1970's
MN17c Longcroft February 1973. Built for Shoreham’s celebrated shipbuilder James Britton Balley.
MN17d Longcroft in Southdown Road
MN17b Watercraft across the river c. 1970?
MN17e top left north choir vault boss; below left roof interior north transept (no date)
MN17f 1949 photos 1949 photos. Right - s.transept, s. wall before major roof repairs showing slipped:crcked centre purlin on top of split crown:king post etc.,
MN17g NE corner of churchyard looking towards the grammar school, churchyard looking north, St.Mary's font
MN17h Rev.H.C. Adams vicar of Old Shoreham c.1890 & his wife
MN17i East Street and beyond from the church tower. c. 1950,
MN17k High Street looking east. c.1949,
MN17ka The shed seen in so many late 19th and early 20th century photos was still standing (just) in 1952
MN17kb The shed may well have seen all the town regattas since they started in the 1850's- here it watches over another regatta one hundred years later - 1952
MN17n Star Gap looking north to Church Street c.1950
MN17o Church Street c.1958
MN17p Middle Street. Obvious evidence indicating the use even then (c. 1952) of horse drawn carts. A sign advertises Burtenshaw's smithy and another warns of the concealed twitten.
MN17q Middle Street looking north with the hall (centre) still standing
MN17r house being demolished in John Street nearly opposite the catholic church 1950's?
MN17s Oct 1975 Ship St cottages demolished in favour of today's No's 11 to 14, modern,cobble fronted houses.
MN17u The 1973 terrace of slate-fronted cottages under construction in North Street
MN17v High Street Feb 1973
MN17w The Tillstone family's 18th century sail loft before it was replaced by the Conservative Club.
MN18 Little High Street looking east Feb 1973
MN18a Little High Street looking east Feb 1973
MN18b This hard still exists within the new Ropetackle development
MN18c Florence Cottages during demolition
MN18d Florence Cottages during demolition
MN18e More of the demolition as viewed from 'Jack's Bargain Stores' - a junk shop!
MN18g Nov 1977 cambered beam from old cotts adjoining Florence Cotts part of Queen Post Truss orginal length about 18 ft, Nov 1977
MN18h Victoria Road looking south
MN18i Two of the four cottages shoe-horned in between the main line bridge (pictured) and the Horsham branch line bridge (left, out of shot).
MN18j Old Shoreham farmhouse
MN18k Barns at Old Shoreham farmyard Aug 1977jpg
MN18l. Cottages near the top of The Street c.1952
MN18n Garage on corner of Old Shoreham Road with St. Nicolas Lane .August 1977jpg
MN18o The lane that became The Avenue, Old Shoreham c.1960
MN18p Little Buckingham dovecot
MN19 fete in Buckingham Park Witsun 1955,
MN19a Buckingham Road, just below Windlesham Road junction, looking south west.
MN20 Warehouse at east end of Kingston Bridge c.1920
MN21 Two paddle ships (one tug) at Shoreham) c.1926
MN22 Mystery Tower at early stages of construction
MN23 A worrying moment on the way to Spithead
MN24 Arrival to replace the Nab lightship
MN25 RNLB 'Samuel Oakes' at Southwick
MN26 Royal Navy at Southwick c.1920
MN26a 57 New Road c.1920 showing original verandah
MN27 Comber (saddler inEast Street) in river with sailing kayak c.1905:10
MN27a Stow's Yard from back of 32 New Road where lived the Combers c.1910.
MN27b Mrs Comber perhaps? at the back of 32 New Road where the Combers lived. She is crossing what is now the busy Brighton Road and Stows yard has timber:logs ready to be cut up for boat building
MN27c C. 1910 Comber again clowning around?
MN27d Comber and friends c.1910, copy
MN29 First bungalow on Shoreham Beach c.1890
MN30 Bungalow Town bungalow interior.
MN32 Comber East Street c.1905. A Mediaeval building demolished for the Luckings shop built in its place.
MN36 c.1905:10 Riverside at Star Gap
MN37 The old Fountain and Bridge Inns before demolition in 1938
MN38 South-east corner of the churchyard before the cottages were replaced
MN40 Middle Street Hall c.1870
MN41 Looking south from the Victoria Road:High Street junction
MN42 Swiss Gardens from Buckingham Street end looking from south-east c.1955
MN43 Buckingham Road looking south
MN44 Henry Cheal at Old Shoreham 1953
MN45 Greenways was at 10 Colvill Avenue, Old Shoreham. The occupier then (1935 - 64) was Frank Parlett so perhaps this is Mrs Parlett
MN46 Shoreham from Old Erringham jpg
MN47 seal of St. Katherine's Hospital Shoreham