Site Search

Shoreham Military Funeral

This from Roy Wood of photos from William Wood’s funeral in 1934. William lived at 5 Middle Road (later renumbered 36), Shoreham. He had joined the Royal West Kent regiment in 1892 and was finally discharged in 1917. The Army honours their own – the funeral procession was provided by the Sussex Regt. He is buried in St Julian’s graveyard.

Middle Road today (notice the ivy still growing)

Disappearing Shoreham

Originally stretching all the way on both sides of the road from the suspension bridge to the flood arch, the old railings on the north side have recently been replaced by wooden ones.  Whether or not they were erected at the same time as the bridge itself (1833) is uncertain although it can be seen in many late 19th and early 20th century photos. This used wooden posts with the distinctive square iron rails held in place by a metal strap. Sometime since the wooden posts were replaced with cement ones but still using the square iron railings. Some of the south side railings still survive, for now, and although they may be of little architectural importance it is sad to see yet another part of the town’s history quietly disappearing almost unnoticed.

5 bob for the caretaker

Little bits of history in snippets here from E. R. Harmsworth’s letter to the New Shoreham Local Board in 1891 most significant of which is the instruction that the new tramway terminus must be sited at the top (western end) of Ham Road.

1811 Clayton & Hyde Shilling Trade Token

A period of coin shortage when the British Royal Mint almost ceased production making small change scarce prompted merchants in 1811 to produce tokens ‘for the accommodation (convenience) of the public.” These were issued by merchants with the agreement that they would be redeemed in goods to an equivalent value at the merchants’ own outlets. The transaction was therefore one of barter, with the tokens playing a role of convenience, allowing the seller to receive his goods at a rate and time convenient to himself and the merchant in order to tie the holder of the token coin to his shop.

Continue reading “1811 Clayton & Hyde Shilling Trade Token”


Super google surfer Neil De-Ville has unearthed this photo of the ship ‘Ebenezer’ (on Ebay) that turns out to be another Shoreham built ship photo that has come to light. Our ‘Ships Built or Registered in Shoreham’ listings show it to be a 177 ton brig built in 1860 by May & Thwaites of Kingston that enjoyed a very long working life as a coaster for almost sixty years. It took a German submarine to finally  finish it off on 15th July 1917 when it intercepted the vessel and sunk her with explosive charges.

Shoreham presentation rolling pin

This is quite a find by Jacqui Hubbard in a Petworth antique shop.
The 1853 presentation rolling pin has the name James Cooper who may have been the shipwright who lived on the High Street then, near to Shoreham’s best known shipbuilder J. Britton Balley so probably worked on his ships too. It would seem Cooper also worked on the ship ‘James Douglas’ but unfortunately I can’t find that name amongst our registers of Shoreham built/registered ships – something to keep a look out for.

Wartime Eastern Avenue

Having read about the V1 flying bomb that detonated near the top of Eastern Avenue (Bombing and Other Incidents  ) Gail Underhill has asked for any wartime photos of Eastern Avenue. This one comes courtesy of Sue Vincent that shows VE Day celebrations with Eastern Avenue houses in the background and perhaps one of them showing repaired roof tile damage. Due to restrictions then wartime photos are difficult to find – does anyone have any others?

Ivory Selective Search of Marlipins Images

Media in SAS Galleries Copy

Media in SAS Galleries only:

The Surrey Arms

Perhaps it’s older than you think? This advertisement for an auction shows it as licenced premises as early as 1833 (Sussex Advertiser 16th September 1833) – older than the Royal Sovereign for example that was first licenced in 1848 under it’s earlier name of Salmon Arms (although the building itself is 18th century). Incidentally, John Fennall, Mercy’s husband, and his brother William had been millers at the Mill Hill windmill. John also ran a bakery in the High Street and had another windmill built in Mill Lane. The brothers amassed a considerable amount of property in Shoreham of which the Surrey Arms was just one.
Also included is what is probably the oldest photo of the pub – just look at the height of that ladder!

Lifeboat house on beach

A postcard that shows a fairly usual view west of the beach end of Ferry Road but one that unusually includes the old lifeboat house that stood there next to the coastguard cottages up to the 1920’s. On the extreme right of the card marked by the asterisk more bungalows nearer to the sea are just visible that were built after 1912 and narrows the probable date of the card.

The Ordnance Survey map of 1912 doesn’t show any buildings nearer the sea but obviously there must have been. Another example of even OS maps not being as accurate as you would think.
(The bungalows in question are marked in yellow)