The Royal Coach

Built in 1958 at the Saltings on the Coast Road alongside the new road to Shoreham Beach. The new pub was designed by Tiltman and Howard – the same architects for the Shoreham Airport Terminal (1935) and the Tudor House pub (1936) in Ferry Road. They were commissioned by Brickwoods. The pub was part of the expanding development of Shoreham & Lancing Beaches Estate scheme, initiated by W Sussex CC. soon after the war. It featured a function room, basement and kitchens.

It was clearly designed to cater for coach visitors using the A259. It even boasted a separate kitchen for coach drivers. Within 9 years the A259 had been downgraded by the opening of the A27 Dover to Honiton Trunk Road and the new flyover effectively bypassed the Royal Coach.

The Royal Coach was latterly re-opened as The Longshore.

2012 the last days of The Royal Coach
2022 The Longshore

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *