Newspaper Reports continued 7:-
Shoreham’s roads are mentioned. Before the riverside stretch to the east of the footbridge was built up the turnpike road from Brighton used to run along to Tarmount Lane, up Brunswick, into St. Mary’s Road and down East Street to the High Street. This was the last part of King William IV’s favourite route on his regular outings from Brighton to Shoreham and the new Norfolk suspension bridge (1833) that he much admired. When the railway arrived (1840) the turnpike trustees at first refused to let the railway company build a viaduct over the Kingston wharf so buttresses with a drawbridge were initially designed to go across the line – eventually though the trustees relented.