Stow & Son Yachts


Thomas Stow & Son Yachts 1866 – 1936,

Courtney & Birkett and Francis Suter

During the late 19th and early 20th centuries Thomas Stow & Son earned themselves a reputation internationally as a respected designer and builder of good quality luxury racing yachts and other types of boat at their shipyard on the river at Shoreham. In his book ‘The Ships and Mariners of Shoreham historian Henry Cheal lists some of their schooners, yawls, luggers and cutters. These were of high quality, well planned internally to give them a ‘roominess’ rarely matched by other makers. Besides supplying private customers Stows also built many of the boats that carried British troops up the river Nile for the 1884 Sudan Expedition.

Continue reading “Stow & Son Yachts”

Ships Built or Registered in Shoreham


Ships Built or Registered in Shoreham

from the 13th century to the early 1900’s. (excluding yachts which are listed in the separate article Stow & Sons Yachts 1866 – 1936 and Courtney & Birkett.’)

This index is consistently the most frequently referred to record on the History Portal web site. This, and the printed library version, is the third update since the first publication in 2010 and now includes information on over 600 vessels. Ranging from mediaeval times to the 20th century, fishing smacks to 48-gun men of war and merchant ships that travelled the world known to have been built in Shoreham, Kingston and Southwick. Even during the 18th century Shoreham ships sailed as far as India, Australia, the Americas and the West Indies. War ships were still being built for the Royal Navy and one Shoreham built man of war (HMS Scorpion) had a particularly eventful career capturing five French ships in 1795 before subsequently joining Shoreham’s merchant fleet only to be captured itself yet still managed to return to British merchant trading shortly after.

Continue reading “Ships Built or Registered in Shoreham”

Shoreham’s WW1 Fatalities

The names on this Roll of Honour have been collected from the memorials in Shoreham’s churches, cemeteries, the Commonwealth War Graves Commission, Soldiers Died in The Great War and includes many whose names are not shown on the town’s War Memorial. This record has been compiled independently of the Roll of Honour web site and includes more comprehensive information gleaned from Civil Registrations, Census Returns, Shipping Passenger Lists and some Service Records. Continue reading “Shoreham’s WW1 Fatalities”

Shoreham Harbour 1875

Description: Macintosh HD:Users:rogerbateman:Desktop:Andy Ramus:A7502px-John-Jabez-Edwin-Mayall-c-1387051411.jpg

(a pamphlet recording a speech at the meeting of the trustees donated by Andy Ramus)


John Jabez Edwin Mayall 17 Sept 1813 – 6 March 1901


On Tuesday July 20th 1875, Alderman Mayall, having been appointed by the Brighton Corporation to be one of the trustees of the Shoreham Harbour Board, gave a speech at a meeting of the trustees at the Dolphin Chambers, Shoreham, where he laid out his plan to get a new bill passed through Government to allow the port greater borrowing powers in order to make the most of Shoreham Harbour’s potential.   Continue reading “Shoreham Harbour 1875”

Coliseum Theatre Programme 1919

Macintosh HD:Users:rogerbateman:Desktop:Coliseum:SBS Sizes:D1a.jpg

A rare programme of a musical comedy at the old Coliseum that once stood at the between Ham Road and Brighton Road next to the Ham. No local people seem to be involved and the performers appear to be a travelling troupe probably based in London that also toured the provinces.

The theatre regularly staged revues from London and on Sundays supplemented these with a ‘programme of pictures’ – probably early movies that were later to replace the live shows entirely. Cakes, biscuits and non-alcoholic drinks were sold at each performance and the management seemed to consider it necessary to include a note in the programme that the theatre was regularly disinfected with Jeyes Fluid! Continue reading “Coliseum Theatre Programme 1919”

Buckingham Arms Side-Spouted Ale Measure

Macintosh HD:Users:rogerbateman:Desktop:SBS Museum of Artefacts & Memorabilia:Brunswick Arms Mug:BA1.jpg

This pewter pint measure was made by George Farmiloe & Sons of John Street, London EC1 in the 1870’s (1). It has two Victorian verification marks (official excise weights and measures) of a crown above the letters VR over the numbers 74 on one and 167 on the other – 167 was the number for Steyning district. There is also another mark of a crown above WS for West Sussex. The maker’s name is also stamped thereon – known in the pewter makers’ trade as touch marks. Finally, the names ‘A. Thorncroft, Buckingham Arms’ are beautifully engraved in script upon the opposite side to the handle of the measure.

Continue reading “Buckingham Arms Side-Spouted Ale Measure”