Shoreham Beach resident Gill Wright kindly allowed us to record some of her memories of when she lived in “Town” (West Street) and then when her parents moved to the “Posh part” (Old Fort Road). The lack of transport to Southwick from the east end of the Beach at the time, was resolved when a friend introduced her to “The Ferryman”.
Recorded in interview with Mike Riddiford in 2022. The recording is around 14 minutes.
Long time Shoreham resident Bill Gebbett kindly allowed us to record some of his reminiscences from a diverse life in Sussex ranging from his exploits on the farm at Holmbush, driving tractors at 12 years old, becoming a bee expert, amateur film-making, and earning his living as a roofing contractor. Recorded in interview with Mike Riddiford in 2022. The recording is around 47 minutes.
In partnership with the Sussex Archaeological Society the following images were one of the first collections to be displayed on our community website and is certainly the most significant. It contains the large majority of the Marlipins Museum Collection originally scanned in 2004 to which further cooperation with the Museum has enabled us to scan and add many more of their unique images.
Search using CMD+F to search the text captions on this page.
Search using the search page in the top menu.
Search the Marlipins/SBS selected image catalogue
Search using the Photo Location Map
Note: This page is all 17 of the Marlipins galleries and so the 1000+ thumbnail images on this page will take time to load on the page, and will load in the background as you scroll and browse.
Tug 'Mistletoe', Single Funnel Paddle Steamer, Southwick Canal and lock. Wooden ship with flags. Lost at sea c1900 with Captain William Brazier.
Southwick Canal and Beach, Southwick. View looking towards Shoreham. River Adur at low tide. Boats and derrick in midstream. Sailing boats in the background. Chalk cliff.
Prince George arrives to open the new lock and Lifeboat Station
Football team, Shoreham-by-Sea. Thirteen team members in three rows standing and sitting in outdoor setting with trees in backtround. Twelve players wearing shirts in two different-coloured vertical halves, shorts with belts, long socks, boots, some with shinguards. Five men wearing suits, caps or hats, and ties stand in back row. On the ground in front a trophy with inscription Challenge Cup and ball dated 1902-03. Probably a Shoreham FC team as shirts are the same, and some team members and officials are the same, as in a other photographs. Centre of back row with bowler hat is Oswald Ball who was for a number of years team manager of Shoreham FC.
Wedding carriages outside Burrell Hotel, Ham Road, Shoreham-by-Sea. Five horse-drawn carriages wait in line, drivers wear top hats and buttoned jackets, horses have white rosettes below the ear to denote a wedding and coachmen have white ribbons on their whips. Burrell Hotel with the name T. P. Palmer over the door, signs Family & Commercial Hotel" "Dinners & Teas". Men wearing suits waistcoasts ties stand by the carriages group of children in background. Street lights attached to front of hotel."
Soldiers from Shoreham Camp parade before embarkation to France.
Lifeboat the 1st 'William Restell' in the lifeboat shed with a notice above the door reading Royal National Lifeboat Institution Lifeboat Supported by Volunteer Contributions" with a crowd including many children and two dogs standing outside launching ropes on slip in foreground. Photocopy of an original photograph."
Mystery Tower leaving for Southampton Water.
Mystery Tower under tow to become Nab Tower at Southampton Water
'Melbourne' bungalow, once stood just east of the footbridge
Model of HMS Victory visiting Shoreham
Snow at Erringham Road 1890's
The ship pilots of Shoreham near the old lifeboathouse on Kingston beach
06.3555. Toll Bridge renovation 2006
Courtney Burkett yacht builders at Southwick
Southwick near the lock with the picture house in the background. This was previously the Star Laundry run by the family of F. G. Miles who founded Miles Aircraft at Shoreham airport.
West end of Bungalow Town beach just below The Church of the Good Shepherd
Mystery Towers work at night
Major Sexton was a larger than life character in Bungalow Town and a generous patron of many of the town's charities.
St Mary's bells
St Mary's bells
A contemporary art view of the 1920's steel bridge
Demolishing the steel bridge 1970's
Demolishing the steel bridge 1970's
Unusual natural lighting against a darkened sky creates a surreal view of the steel bridge
St Mary's church
Toll Bridge, Shoreham-by-Sea. View from the south west across field to River Adur with wooden toll bridge on left. Buildings of Old Shoreham in distance on far bank, including St Nicolas Church in centre, Red Lion public house on extreme right.
Children Leaving Coliseum Theatre after a matinee, Shoreham-by-Sea. Banner across the theatre stating 'Main Street'. The theatre stood on the site of what became the Civic Centre on Brighton Road.
Oscar Morison by his Bleriot
Harold Hume (Hal) Piffard (1867-1938) with his Pusher biplane, on the beach at Bungalow Town. Piffard stands to the left of the plane between the tall man in shirtsleeves and the man in the flat cap. Other men women and children in background. Plane is partly obscured, visible are wings, engine and propellor, struts, floats. The Pusher biplane was powered by a 40 HP ENV engine with a seven-foot propellor, front elevator and rear stabiliser. Information from the Worthing Herald 29 April 2004, p.19: Woman in the centre is Miss Barbara O'Manning, a former art student. Harold Hume Piffard, who pioneered the development of Shoreham aerodrome in 1909, was an old boy of Lancing College and later studied art in Paris and at the Royal Academy. Miss O'Manning helped Piffard design an early model aircraft and was involved in the construction of his full-sized aeroplane, the Humming Bird (also known as the Mayfly).
Two Bristol Box Kite biplanes piloted by Oscar Morison and Mr. Gilmour take part in an air race from Shoreham to Roedean on 13 May 1911. The planes are pictured flying above a grass-covered field with low buildings in background, possibly Shoreham Airport. Postcard inscribed on front Mr. Morison and Mr. Gilmour race from Shoreham to Roedean May 13/11. F. Rowe Shoreham"."
Gilmour at Hove Lawns
Pilot Oscar Morison seated in his Bristol Box Kite biplane, possibly at Shoreham or Roedean. Close view of front of plane showing wheels, runners, struts, wings, propellor and engine behind pilot. Mr. and Mrs. Frank Rowe stand at right, airport manager at left.
Graham Gilmour sits in his biplane (possibly a Bristol Box Kite) before leaving on a flight to Amesbury on 26 May 1911. Close view of front of plane, pilot wearing tam-o'-shanter hat and long coat. Wings, struts, wheels and runners clearly visible also part of propellor behind pilot. Three men stand in front of plane all wearing suits, hats, ties. Postcard inscribed on front Mr. Gilmour flies to Amesbury 100 miles May 26/11. F. Rowe". Postmarked 17 February 1912 and sent to Miss Bessie Clark Cornhill Rolvenden Kent with message: "My Dear Bessie this is a photo of the young Mr. Gilmour it is so sad we knew him so well through the flying ground. Many a chat with him I have had. I have his autographs with the others. Shoreham is quite upset about it knowing him so well. Write soon with love from us all had a photo of Tom this morning" unsigned. "
Cecil and Eric Pashley stand in front of their Farman biplane at Shoreham Airport. Both men wear suits and shirts with ties, one wears a cap. Close view of the propellor and engine at rear of cockpit, struts and wheels also visible. In background is hangar no. 6. Eric Pashley was killed in World War One, Cecil continued at Shoreham, formed the Southdown Flying Club, and trained pilots for many years.
Southwick War Memorial
Southwick Green with the Green School in the background
Sailing Ship 'Mathew' at Sea. Photograph of an Indian Ink drawing of a three masted ship showing three views of the same vessel (a merchantman). Flying the Red Ensign. Captain was Charles Payne. Built at Shoreham in 1763.
Two large three masted wooden Barque boats, Shuttleworth Shipyard, Southwick. Ships Yarrow, Arcuturs and Astrea were built for shipowner R.H. Penney in 1864.
Two Masted Ship 'Agricola'?, Shuttleworth Shipyard, Southwick. Ladders around the ship. Rowing boats, man with dog. Houses in the background.
Three Masted Barque 'Alastor' at Anchor, later (probably 1950s) renamed 'The Bounty'. Sailing ship at anchor on the sea. 823 Tons. The last and largest sailing ship built for Mr Penney (Sunderland 1875).
Wreck of Brig 'Tally Ho', Eastbourne, East Sussex. Ship on the beach. Crowd of people on beach. Mast is broken off. Wooden groyne. The 'Tally Ho' was built in Shoreham in 1854 and owned by the Gates family.
Three-masted barque 'Britannia' on the River Adur moored at the Old Shipyard - later Suter's Yard - in Shoreham harbour. The ship weighed 800 tons, was built by Dyer & Son of Shoreham and was one of the last square-rigged built at Shoreham. The ship was wrecked during a hurricane on route to Montreal in September 1883, when 13 lives were lost including the Captain's wife and two children.
Britannia on the stocks
Two-masted brig 'Sarah' moored at Littlehampton with buildings in the background and the rigging of another ship in the foreground. The ship was built by May & Thwaites at Kingston for Brighton coal merchant W. Banfield.
Three-masted schooner Osprey" in full sail at sea crew members on deck pennants and the Red Ensign flying from rear mast. Boat with five men in foreground three-masted ship in left background and sailing boat in right background.The "Osprey" was built at the Old Shipyard in New Shoreham in 1855-1856 by J. B. Balley for R. H. Penney for £3164. She was the first of Penney's vessels to be used for world-wide trade and was lost off Scotland in 1865."
Two-masted wooden brig in full sail flying the Red Ensign flag, with men in a rowing boat hauling in a lobster pot in the foreground. The ship weighed 198 tons and was built in 1854 by J.B. Balley in Shoreham, for £2558 for a Quaker coal-merchant R.H. Penney of Southwick. The ship continued in service as a collier for over 20 years. Photograph of an oil painting by W. Jenner.
Two-masted schooner in full sail flying the Red Ensign flag and a pennant reading 'Kingston' coming into harbour at Valletta, Malta on a stormy sea with another ship in the background. The ship weighed 105 tons and was the first to be built by May & Thwaites of Kingston, near Shoreham-by-Sea, in 1838, for a Quaker coal merchant E. Lucas for use as a collier. Print of a watercolour painting by Maltese artist Nicholas S. Cammillieri.