Shoreham Herald Bygones

Shorehambysea.com is delighted to reproduce here over 250 fascinating ‘Bygones’ articles from the Herald’s publications of 2000 to 2004. Researched and written by well-known local historians such as Alan Upton, Ted Heasman and Freddie Feest (and even our own contributions that were published between 2015/16) these articles include many of their own personal reminiscences. A priceless collection of local history for our area including Shoreham, Southwick, Lancing, Littlehampton and Worthing.

 

Following the Herald’s kind permission Martin Hayes, Local History Librarian for West Sussex Library Services, Tim Stanton at Crawley Library and their colleagues at Shoreham Library have made available their microfiche records for digitising. Shorehambysea.com’s team of Roger Bateman, Derek Brazier, Paul Osborne and Mike Suter spent many hours to create an index then copy and edit the article images.

 

Please bear in mind that the reproduced articles here have been copied from microfiche and the newsprint and photos can only be as clear as the original.

 

You can see each image in more detail simply by clicking on it. A plus sign will then appear on your cursor – click again to enlarge the image. To return to viewing all the images in normal size just click the return arrow at the top left of the screen on your computer.

 

The following (non-interactive) index provides an identification of the subject matter for each of the numbered articles.

By1
By2
By3
By4
By5

By6

 

By7

 

By8
By9

 

By10

 

By11

 

By12

 

By13

 

By14

 

By15

 

By16
By17

 

By18

 

By19

 

By20

 

By21

 

By22
By23
By24

 

By25

 

By26

 

By27

 

By28

 

By29

 

By30
By31

 

By32

 

By33

 

By34

 

By35

 

By36

 

By37

 

By38

 

By39

 

By40
By41

 

By42

 

By43

 

By44

 

By45

 

By46

 

By47

 

By48

 

By49

 

By50
By51

 

By52

 

By53
By54

 

By55

 

By56
By57
By58

 

By59

 

By60

 

By61

 

By62

 

By63

 

By64

 

By65

 

By66

 

By67
By68
By69

 

By70
By71

 

By72

 

By73

 

By74

 

By75

 

By76

 

By77

 

By78

 

By79
By80
By81
By82

 

By83

 

By84

 

By85

 

By86

 

By87

 

By88

 

By89

 

By90
By91

 

By92

 

By93

 

By94

 

By95
By96

 

By97
By98

 

By99

 

By100
By101

 

By102

 

By103

 

By104

 

By105

 

By106

 

By107

 

By108

 

By109

 

By110
By111
By112

 

By113

 

By114

 

By115
By116
By117
By118
By119

 

By120

 

By121

 

By122

 

By123

 

By124

 

By125

 

By126

 

By127

 

By128

 

By129

 

By130
By131

 

By132
By133

 

By134

 

By135

 

By136

 

By137

 

By138

 

By139

 

By140
By141
By142
By143
By144
By145
By146
By147
By148
By149

By150

Ghosts

A project carried out in 2010 combining the ghosts of buildings and people from original photographs within their current day surroundings to help provide an appreciation of Shoreham’s past.

You can see each image in more detail simply by clicking on it. A plus sign will then appear on your cursor – click again to enlarge the image. To return to viewing all the images in normal size just click the return arrow at the top left of the screen on your computer.

 

Shoreham House, John Street   This circa 1916 photo outside William Winton junior’s house shows it then to have been clad in ivy. Bill Winton made part of his house available to the army either as a recruitment point or for somewhere to relax for soldiers from the camp north of Shoreham whilst in town 

 

East Street Looking North   Today’s scene ghosts into Chantry House when it was a doctor’s surgery during the late 19th century. The group of women around the pram are likely to have  been stage managed by the photographer William Winton and probably include members of his family. 

 

The Beehive Inn, North Street    The early 20th century breaks through the walls of the Beehive to reveal the pub’s old lettering. Harriett Rickard, the septegenarian landlady appears in the doorway to purchase provisions from a passing vendor. In fact the photo was again set up by the photographer William Winton before the pub fell victim to the mass closures enforced by the council of half of all Shoreham’s pubs due to the excessive drinking problem in the town. 

 

The Old Cottage, North Street   One of the oldest cottages in Shoreham that once stood next to the Beehive and was demolished to make way for the Roman Catholic school in turn replaced by today’s church. Click on the photo to enlarge it and look particularly at the man leaning  against the wall and his partner – they both have guns, probably hunting guns, which lends an air of the wild west and lawlessness to the photo. 

 

Hebe Hotel, Hebe Road   Now part of a block of flats the Hebe Hotel once provided rest and refreshment for visitors to the nearby Swiss Gardens. The 1890’s landlord John Starcombe, his wife and son stand at the door of the original entrance. 

 

High Street looking west   Pictured from the junction with East Street, the addition of the 1920’s photo shows just how narrow this part of the High Street once was. 

 

High Street Looking East  With the Church Street junction on the left  and the car disappearing into the past, the old Dolphin Buildings on the right have now been replaced by Coronation Green. 

 

High Street 1897  Crowds in the High Street celebrate Queen Victoria’s 1897 diamond jubilee as today’s pedestrian passes by them. 

 

Marlipins Museum, High Street   Lady Harmsworth and Capt. H.R. Hooper relive the opening of the museum after refurbishment in 1928

 

High Street  Fred Wood, town carter, stands by the gate of his house  – the last surviving front garden in the High Street

 

High Street Procession 1911   The 1911 procession to celebrate the coronation of King George V marches past the parked cars in the High Street 

 

Winton’s 1890’s High Street shop   This late 19th century photo shows William Winton in his delivery cart surrounded by his newspaper boys. His newsagent’s shop in the High Street once covered the entire premises now split into two – a beauticians and a jewellers. 

 

Footbridge Opening 1921   The 1921 pennants flap in the breeze as crowds attend the opening of the footbridge with modern East Steet in the background 

 

Footbridge and Dolphin Hotel  A composite of three photos showing the hotel, work and boat sheds, and the original toll booth blended into  the footbridge (as it was in 2010) and Pacific Court on the other side of the river. 

 

Dolphin Hotel Demolition  On the High Street near the junction with East Street the ghost (Dolphin Hotel) is already a ghost when pictured here shortly before demolition in the late 1930’s. 

 

Demolition of Dolphin Buildings, High Street    With the Dolphin Hotel and Dolphin Chambers already toppled and rubble where Coronation Green is now, only the old brewery chimney and buildings alongside it remain to be demolished. 

 

Crown & Anchor, High Street   Modern day Crown & Anchor ghosts into it’s 1880’s past at a time when it looked more in keeping with it’s ancient origins. 

 

Reed’s Store in the High Street    Late in the 19th century Reed’s Stores, next to the Crown & Anchor, burned down. Spencer Reed and his wife are seen here in happier times from a photo ghosted into the burned building. Click on the image to enlarge it and look into the front, right door to see the surviving fireplace and through the window next to it the massive ceiling beam that also survived. 

 

Star Inn   In the 18th century the Star Inn on the corner of Church Street with the High Street was the once town’s main coaching inn and had stables stretching to East Street from the main building. The early 1900’s photo here was taken shortly after a face lift which, sadly, hides for ever its earlier heritage. 

 

Town and Riverside The footbridge disappears into oblivion and the newly built, newly rigged Osman Pasha awaits launching from Shoreham’s last shipyard on the 1870’s riverside. 

 

Church Street    Outside the Winton family house in Church Street Reg Eley, husband of Myrtle Winton, sits on one of his Singer motorcycles a few years prior to the First World War. 

 

Church Street 1910  Men of the Shoreham Section of the 3rd Sussex Battery Home Counties Brigade, Royal Field Artillery re-enact their homage to King Edward V11’s funeral on 20th May 1910

 

Star Cinema 1920    Now the Co-op goods delivery entrance the building was once a chapel and then a cinema. William Winton, who lived in the house next door also ran the cinema and often took moving pictures of which this is a ‘still’ from one reel. 

 

Brunswick Road Looking North  Houses on the left were still residential with small front gardens in the old photo and the present day restaurant in the centre is little changed from the Burrells Hotel it once was. 

 

Brunswick Road Looking South  A couple (middle distance, right) emerge from the somewhat neater looking Brunswick Road of 100 years ago. 

 

Patchings Shop, High Street/West Street Corner  James Patching’s hardware shop and delivery van. His horse had the rather unimaginative name of ‘Dobbin’ and was stabled in the old ropemaker’s hemp store on the corner of West Street with North Street. 

East Street looking south  A photo that illustrates just how much history has been lost to the town. The Collegiate School building is no more, the ancient medieval saddlery (the gable end building) was demolished in favour of Luckings outfitters, and the Dolphin Hotel in the distance disappeared during the 1930’s road widening of the High Street – only the Ferry Inn remains. 

 

Charabanc in East Street  When searching for locations of the old photos it was thought this image may have been taken in the High Street but the Shoreham Pharmacy turned out to have been in East Street 

 

St.Mary’s from East Street Today’s cars pass by the 1950’s church – the old cars parked by the memorial would command high prices to collectors now.

 

Town Hall/Royal George, High Street   The ghost of the Royal George pub looks back from the past at the old town hall, now a restaurant. A new extendable ladder on wheels is being demonstrated to a fireman and onlookers – the fire station was down the access road on the left in the side of the town hall. 

 

Western Road Methodist Church The early 1900’s Western Road church ghosts into the blue washed building of today. 

 

Shoreham Grammar School, Pond Road   

 

Norfolk Bridge  The first Norfolk Bridge against the backdrop of modern Ropetackle and Shoreham High Street. 

 

Swiss Gardens Entrance, Victoria Road  The main entrance to the Gardens stood along Victoria Road opposite Hebe Road at the junction with Swiss Gardens – the school is on the right. 

 

Swiss Gardens Old Shoreham Road Entrance  The second entrance to the Gardens shown here in the 1920’s when it was part of the Swiss Cottage pub. Looking in pristine condition then it must have been recently refurbished. Since then it became neglected and later demolished as unsafe. 

 

John Street  Local legend has it that the protruding end of these houses in John Street was built when smuggling was common to provide the occupants watching out for Excise Men with a clear view down the street. Even if that is true the late 19th century occupants shown here were more upright members of Shoreham society. 

 

Royal Sovereign, Middle Street   The diminutive figure of 1920’s landlord Harry Bish looks out from beneath the old pub sign. The centre door and porch has since been replaced with a window. 

 

Trinity Cottages, Southdown Road  The cottages were used as a barracks for a few years by officers of the 1st Regiment of the King’s Dragoon Guards during the Napoleonic Wars when fears of a French invasion was rife.  More usually they have accommodated agricultural workers and their families who worked on the surrounding land that was still fields and open countryside until well into the 20th century. 

 

Southdown Road Looking South  The end of Trinity Cottages are on the left and this view down Southdown Road has not altered much except that the newly planted street trees then are now much larger as the modern picture shows. 

 

Southdown Nurseries, Southdown Road  Near the bottom of Southdown Road where the St.Pauls apartments are now the Peake family ran Southdown Nursery and Dairy. Charles Peake and his wife stand out in the snow whilst another member of the family looks out of the top, right window. 

 

Wesleyan Chapel, New Road  The Wesleyan Chapel was built in 1829 and later used by the Salvation Army. Shown here nearer the time of it’s demolition with one window already broken. 

 

Athol House, New Road/Tarmount Lane  In between New Road and Tarmount Lane where the Swanborough Court apartments are now once stood Athol House. Originally built for the owner of the Derby winner ‘Blair Athol’ it reappears here during a 1904 party held by the then owner Major. T.B. Gates, one of Shoreham’s largest shipowners.  

 

Lifeboat at Surrey Street  The lifeboat William Restell II where New Road meets Surrey Street circa 1905.

 

Ham Road School and Horse Drawn Tram c.1900

 

Church of the Good Shepherd, Shoreham Beach  The church itself is still much as it was in the 1920’s before the Beach was cleared of most of it’s other buildings during WW2 – pebbles on the roads must have made it difficult to walk on. 

 

Bungalows on the Beach, Kings Walk  La Vague, Mona and Villa Lido were named bungalows that stood on the pebbles of the beach itself where King’s Walk is now – in the distance the distinctive roof of today’s Atlantic Court can be seen

 

Rhodesia Bungalow, West Beach Road , Shoreham Beach  Probably the best known and most photographed of all the old bungalows is ‘Rhodesia’ which stood on what is now West Beach Road just west of the church seen here in the distance. Burnt down in 1923 it was replaced with a much smaller, mundane looking bungalow that was named ‘Castledene’ in memory of its predecessor. The story of Rhodesia can be seen in the article:-http://www.shorehambysea.com/rhodesia-special-bungalow/  

 

Blockhouse, Shoreham Beach  By the Ferry Road entrance to the beach there once stood a terrace of houses originally built to house officers and their families during the anti smuggling blockade days shortly after the Napoleonic Wars. Demolished in the 1920’s. 

 

Frampton Farm, Old Shoreham The area of the old stables of the farm are now occupied by these houses in St.Nicolas Lane. 

 

Slater’s Cottage, Connaught Avenue, Old Shoreham  When Connaught Avenue was just a cinder track this old thatched cottage stood on the north-east corner of the Avenue with Colvill Avenue. Demolished in the 1930’s. 

 

Red Lion & Amsterdam, Old Shoreham  Constant traffic is now a regular feature of what was once a tranquil part of Old Shoreham. 

 

Beeding/Bramber Bridge  A walker and his dog from the present approach the locals of the early 1900’s – then a popular venue where boats could be hired. 

 

The Street, Bramber  Bramber has been much less touched than Shoreham by the devastating demolition policies  of past councils. Of the buildings on the right, only the wooden barn nearest the camera has been replaced but with a dwelling very similar in appearance to the barn. 

 

Bramber Castle  A small fair with swings and side-stalls was once a regular attraction in the castle grounds. The woman and her dog look round at the victorian ghost girl running excitedly towards her father and brother sitting by the ruined tower. 

 

Kingston Lane, Southwick  The entrance to New Field once stood at the modern day entrance to Old Rectory Gardens. A place then surrounded by fields with St.Michael’s just visible in the distance where once a Southwick girl knelt down to read a story to her young charges. 

 

Golden Sands, Lancing  A WW2 sentry and friend at the entrance to Golden Sands caravan park. 

 

Bristol Box Kite, Shoreham Airport  Using this old postcard and aligning the bridge in it to the bridge in the modern photo we can see exactly where this aircraft was standing over 100 years ago. They say each picture tells its own story and this one tells us that the main flying activity then was always in the south-east corner of the airfield. Oscar Morison is the pilot, dressed as if for a stroll down the High Street. Oscar was one of Shoreham’s pioneer aviators and later married a Shoreham girl. Frank Rowe, a Shoreham photographer, newsagent and postcard manufacturer, is on the right with his wife. When WW1 broke out Frank joined the Royal Flying Corps as a photographer in reconnaissance aircraft. He suffered injury when his aircraft was enveloped by a mustard gas cloud during one flight which was ultimately responsible for his death a few years later. 

 

A Ghost of the Future? 

You can find more animated ghost images here.

 

 

 

Paintings

A collection of historic 19th and 20th century paintings of Shoreham many of which are still held by local collectors. Views are revealed that inspired the artists then as well as a taste of things as they once were.

You can see each image in more detail simply by clicking on it. A plus sign will then appear on your cursor – click again to enlarge the image. To return to viewing all the images in normal size just click the return arrow at the top left of the screen on your computer.

 

B1   ‘Shoreham May 28th 1837’

Believed to be the work of George Cattermole (1800 – 1868) a member of the Royal Watercolour Society who later moved on to oils as his medium. He was awarded a first class gold medal at the Paris Exhibtion in 1855 as well as enjoying professional honours in Amsterdam and Belgium.

Most of his work was illustrating for publications such as ‘The Waverley Novels’ and others. A good friend of Charles Dickens he collaborated on illustrations for ‘The Old Curiosity Shop’ and ‘Barnaby Rudge.’

This particular painting, a watercolour, was drawn on or near the then four year old suspension bridge. It is of particular interest to local historians as it is probably one of the most distinct and architecturally accurate illustrations of Shoreham buildings of the period and clearly reflects Cattermole’s earlier training as an architectural and topographical draughtsman.
(Descriptions have been added to show buildings of particular interest)

 

 

B2 ‘The River Adur, Old Shoreham’

This watercolour was painted by John Wright Oakes, ARA (1820 p-1887) a Liverpool landscape artist who began exhibiting his work in 1839 and continued on to the Royal Academy from 1848 to 1888. His paintings are naturalistic although he often attempted Turneresque effects of light and sky.

St.Nicolas church and the Toll Bridge are prominent in this painting and beneath the former can just be seen part of the Red Lion Inn and the toll keeper’s cottage. To the left are the trees and fields where the edge of the airfield is now and the banks on both sides of the river appear to be in their more natural state before the earth ‘walls’ of later years were thrown up to protect the surrounding land from flooding. To the right are cottages that no longer exist and, even allowing for artistic licence, the bridge itself is showing its original type of 18th century construction.

With a little difficulty it is just possible to make out the windmill on Mill Hill. Unfortunately for purists, Oakes has applied a Turneresque influence to this that gives it an almost ethereal look but leaves it indistinct and easily missed by the viewer.

 

B4 ‘Shoreham Ferry 1887’

Alfred Bennett (fl. 1861 – 1916) was a landscape painter who exhibited at the Royal Academy, the British Institution and the Society of British Artists. He lived in London but later moved to Knebworth in Hertfordshire.

As it’s title suggests this picture looks from the River Adur’s south bank where the ferry once plied northwards towards the town (the ferry’s route normally took passengers from this point diagonally across towards the left side of the ship on the stocks to the opposite bank at the bottom of East Street). The ship is probably not a new vessel as the last to be built at Shoreham was the Osman Pasha by Dyer & Son in 1878, nine years before the painting so was probably being repaired or overhauled. The timbered wharf seen immediately opposite was then Dyer’s shipyard but is now the Sussex Yacht Club site. From the right side of the moored ship across the front of the church are the backs of the buildings in East Street and just under the extreme right of the church can be seen the top half of the National School which now houses St.Mary’s Church Hall. Through the gap in the timbered wharf are the easternmost of four coastguard cottages that once stood in the area now occupied by a garage and in the far distance the Mill Hill windmill can just be made out.

 

B4a Another Alfred Bennett painting ‘Norfolk Bridge’ 1898

 

B5 Untitled Skyscape and View of the Town from the River

Painted by Alice Mary Hobson RI (1860 – 1954) the owner dates this from between 1915 to 1920.

 

 

B6 Watercolour marked ‘F.J.Aldridge Shoreham 134’

Artist Frederick James Aldridge (1849 – 1933) needs little introduction to those interested in Shoreham’s local art. He was a marine artist, chiefly in watercolour and exhibited at the principal London galleries from 1880 onwards. He lived in Worthing for many years and was associated with the firm of fine art dealers ‘Aldridges’ of Worthing.

The painting shows a sailing barge on the left, probably laden with shingle dredged from the harbour bar proceeding upstream. A little further on in mid stream is an oyster ketch and on the extreme right is moored a top-sail schooner engaged in the coastal trade. The townscape includes the well known landmark of the brewery chimney at the western end of what is now Coronation Green and, of course, St.Mary’s church.

 

 

B9 18th Century Church Street and Marlipins

These two charming scenes were painted by local artist Richard Steers during the 1960’s/70’s. By his own admission some of the buildings shown are not totally accurate in scale but without doubt they provide a wonderful flavour of how the town looked then.

 

 

B8 The Old Toll Bridge was painted by Aubrey Willett resident of Shoreham, in 1994. 

 

B11 This picture of Lancing College and Chapel was painted in 1992 by Aubrey Willett a Shoreham resident.

 

B13   This painting of the town around and beyond the Coronation Green area is a high quality, precise record of the scene in 1880 when it was painted by Brook Harrison (1860 – 1930). His full name was Brooking Alfred Wrankmore Harrison (he was descended from the Wrankmore and Butler families of Shoreham) and lived in Shoreham for many years. He painted many Sussex scenes and exhibited his work at the R.B.A. in London, Brighton Art Club and Society of Sussex Artists. Some 200 of his paintings survived him and many still remain in Shoreham.

 

B14 A charming watercolour of the Dolphin Hard and Dolphin Inn painted in 1909 by Thomas Butler Stoney. To date little has been found regarding this artist except that he exhibited from 1899 to 1912 – perhaps others may know more?

 

B15 Undated, Suspension Bridge by Shoreham artist J. H. Powell

 

B16 Undated, this Powell painting shows a beached sailing barge on the river edge with St.Mary’s in the distance.

 

B17 Undated, a view by Powell of the canal from Southwick towards the power station.

 

 

B18 Undated, but thought to be Powell’s work and shows the canal towards Portslade from Southwick.

 

B19 Again an undated painting of Powell’s and shows the Coronation Green area with Stone House and the bridge beyond.

 

B20   A night view of the harbour, simple yet striking, dashed off in a few minutes by Powell for the current owner. He was then in a nursing home nearing the end of his life (1974) but still enjoyed painting to give himself extra pocket money – this one cost £5.

 

B21 One to interest the local historians is this almost architectural drawing executed with obvious precision recording the Dolphin Hard area in 1932 and finished in watercolour. The footbridge can just be seen to the left and beyond it East Street with the Ferry Inn on the left and East Street Arms (right). St.Mary’s church tower is shown in good detail.
From an artistic point of view the townscape sits low down in the painting beneath a large expanse of featureless sky – yet for all that the picture overall provides a striking and pleasing effect.
Have not been able to find out much about the artist, Louis S.M.Prince, other than he was an associate of the Royal College of Art and a staff inspector (whatever that was) for the London College of Communications. I notice that his paintings are still selling here and in America – perhaps someone knows more of him?

 

B22 A late 1990’s watercolour of Church Street by one time resident Barry Hilsom 

 

 

B23 During the second half of the last century A.A.Godfrey was a well known local artist who painted early 20th century Shoreham views, boats, etc., and many prints of his work can still be seen in pubs, bars and homes throughout Shoreham. It was said that he used old postcards for his paintings and looking at the SBS galleries there is one that matches his work of the Norfolk Suspension Bridge. Does anyone know of any other postcards that match his paintings?

 

 

B24 Old Lifeboat House by Gillian Hobbs (details to follow)

 

B26 Clem Lambert 1854- 1925  a painter who painted much in the Brighton area. Known for his landscapes and sea scapes as well as his pictures of Brighton. He wasfor many years onthe Brighton Fine Art Committee. He exhibited widely from 1880 including  this.

B28 Phylis Pearsall 1906 – 1996 . In the 1930’s a portrait painter then conceived the idea of mapping the whole of London which she did, it is said, by personally walking 3,000 miles of the 23,000 streets of the city. This resulted in the now famous London A – Z map. During WW2 she worked for the Ministry of Information drawing women in factories. Her A – Z map continued its’ success after the war and was awarded the MBE. In her later years she lived in Shoreham and continued to paint for her own pleasure and this is one of them.

 

B30 Tony Cook artist.. details to follow

 

B31 St Mary’s by M.A.Rooker 1743 – 1801

 

B32 ‘Fisherman’s cart before St.Mary’s’ by Frederick Earp 19th century – thought to have been a Brighton artiist

 

 

B37 Swiss Gardens, Shoreham-by-Sea. Watercolour sketch painted on card in 1851 by George Ruff. Observatory Tower in the centre. Trees and flowers. People in the garden. 91.1737 From the Sussex Archaeological Society’s Marlipins Collection.

 

B38 River Adur and Shoreham-by-Sea. View from Shoreham Beach across River Adur in foreground towards New Shoreham town. Rowing boat heading towards the Beach, two-masted ship moored at Dolphin Hard, several more sailing ships to the left near where Norfolk Bridge would soon be built. Parish Church of St Mary de Haura on right and other buildings along far shoreline. C.1830 artist john smith? 93.2142 From the Sussex Archaeological Society’s Marlipins Collection.

 

B39 94.2402 Buckingham House, Shoreham-by-Sea. Watercolour painting by Miss E Bartlett. Showing the south and east elevations. Driveway leading up to the house and grounds. The house was owned by the Bridger family and then leased by Henry Head Esq. Signed EEB. From the Sussex Archaeological Society’s Marlipins Collection.

 

B40 94.2404 Shoreham from Mill Hill, Shoreham-by-Sea. Watercolour painting. ‘Cockeroost’ area is on the left. St Mary de Haura Church in the distance. Norfolk Bridge is on the distant centre. English Channel is in the background. C.1880 unknown artist. From the Sussex Archaeological Society’s Marlipins Collection.

 

B41   S2 Upper Shoreham Road, Shoreham-by-Sea, looking east with Buckingham House lodge on right. Two horses, one with rider. On left fence surrounding trees marks the top of Buckingham Road. Artist Brrok Harrison Signed in lower left corner. C.1907. From the Sussex Archaeological Society’s Marlipins Collection.

 

 

B43   02.3270 Shoreham from Bungalow Town, Shoreham-by-Sea. Watercolour painting of Shoreham Beach showing St Mary de Haura Church. Wooden jetty in the foreground on the south side of the River Adur. Artist unknown. May 1928. From the Sussex Archaeological Society’s Marlipins Collection.

 

B44 S3 Buckingham House, Shoreham-by-Sea. View across lawn to trees in background. House partly visible on left, horse-drawn carriage with driver in top-hat. Signed in lower left corner. Artist Brook Harrison c.1904. . From the Sussex Archaeological Society’s Marlipins Collection.

 

B45 S6 Two Houses in John Street (formerly St. John’s Street), Shoreham-by-Sea. View across street to one flint-faced house with sash windows and porch, and one brick house with sash windows, woden picket fence in front, stone walls either side.Artist Brook Harrison September 1926. From the Sussex Archaeological Society’s Marlipins Collection.

 

B46 S.11 Red Lion Public House, Steyning Road, Shoreham-by-Sea. Watercolour painting of the Red Lion by Brook Harrison. View from the south west. St. Nicolas Church tower in the background. Houses and cottages with tall chimneys. Horse and cart in front of the pub.c.1900. From the Sussex Archaeological Society’s Marlipins Collection.

 

B47 S13 Rural Scene, Southwick, near Shoreham-by-Sea. Oil and canvas. Artist unknown. View looking westward from Fishersgate. Rural scene at the end of the day where the last of the sheaves are being loaded onto the wagon. Farmer on the left is on horseback, overseeing the work done by this workers. Sheepdog by the sheaves of corn. Two windmills in distance. Brick kiln in middle distance. Tall masted ships at anchor in Shoreham Harbour. Horse and cart in the middle ground of the landscape. Building on the left. Shoreham Town is to the west. Sussex Downs in the background. Visible surface paint cracks on the canvas. C.1860 artist unknown. From the Sussex Archaeological Society’s Marlipins Collection.

NB The two windmills in the middle distance must be the Copperas Gap mill (c.1790’s – 1870) and Fishersgate cement mill (c. 1842 – 1890’s) – one at the north end of Mill Road and the other in Mill Field Lane that became George Street. Compare this with Budgen’s 1797 map that shows the Coppera Gap mill with the Southwick and Old Shoreham (Mill Hill) mills. The mill in the far distance is probably at Southwick. The one at Old Shoreham sat far higher up on the hill wheras Southwick mill was on rising ground as seems to be the mill in the painting. There is a smoking brick kiln just before the windmills – an industry that was carried out elsewhere in Portslade particularly at the field that became Victoria recreation ground. The buildings on the far right are thought to be Red House Farm that stood between Boundary (or Station) Road and Gordon Road. The artist looks to have been at a point between today’s Boundary Road and  Hove lagoon. (R.Bateman)

 

B48 S16   Mouth of Shoreham Harbour, Shoreham-by-Sea. Watercolour painting, possibly by George Stanfield Walters? Two Masted Barque Sailing ship and paddle steamship ‘Stella’ entering the harbour. Ferryman with passenger in a rowing boat in foreground. Fishing boat. Navigation lights and Storm warning. Buildings on the right on Shoreham Beach (Soldiers Point). Wooden jetties. Unsigned. C.1891. From the Sussex Archaeological Society’s Marlipins Collection.

 

B49   S20   New Shoreham Church, ‘St Mary de Haura’, Shoreham-by-Sea. Watercolour painting by F. Nash (1782-1856) of the south side of the church from East Street. Signed on the bottom right. Horse and cart with a shepherd on the right. People are around the town. Children playing. Cottages on the left. Tree in the centre of the landscape. South Downs in the background.c.1850. From the Sussex Archaeological Society’s Marlipins Collection.

 

B50 S21 Middle Street, Shoreham-by-Sea. 1937 Watercolour painting by Reginald Brown. View of the southern part of the street towards High Street. Royal Sovereign public house on the right. The Twitten is on the right between the houses. Women are standing at a door. Methodist Chapel in the distance. Sailing boat on the wharf of the River Adur. Signed and dated on the bottom. From the Sussex Archaeological Society’s Marlipins Collection.

 

B51 S24 Sussex Pad Inn, Lancing. Inn sign in left foreground reads The Sussex Pad Inn J. Wood”. Inn has bay windows sign on wall “Carriages Hire” above a noticeboard. Loaded horse-drawn cart in front of inn man leans against wall with dog sitting in front. The Sussex Pad Inn was situated on the Lancing Road now A27 c.1895 artist Brook Harrison. From the Sussex Archaeological Society’s Marlipins Collection.

 

B52 S37 Middle Street, Shoreham-by-Sea, looking north with row of houses on west side of street. House in foreground is brick with tile roof, variety of chimneys on other houses. Unfinished watercolour by Michael W. D. Norman. From the Sussex Archaeological Society’s Marlipins Collection.

 

B53 S39   View from south side of River Adur towards theBeves’ Wharf at Kingston. South bank in foreground, small boat moored in centre, buildings of Kingston in background including Kingston Maltings on left and lighthouse on right. South Downs on skyline. Watercolour by W. J. Thrasher, FRIBA, Archt.1945. From the Sussex Archaeological Society’s Marlipins Collection.

 

B54 S40 Norfolk Bridge, Shoreham-by-Sea. Watercolour of the second Norfolk Bridge by Reginald Brown. Yachts. Buildings on the right. One man sitting on a bench on the right, another standing looking out. Signed and dated.Reginald Brown 1938. From the Sussex Archaeological Society’s Marlipins Collection.

 

B55 S44 Old Shoreham Toll Bridge, Shoreham-by-sea. Watercolour painting (part) by Richard Sayers. Signed on the bottom right (not shown on scanned image). View looking east. Bridge over the River Adur. St. Nicolas Church in the distance. Man on river in rowing boat. women on the left carrying baskets. South Downs on the left. C.1890 . From the Sussex Archaeological Society’s Marlipins Collection.

 

B56 S46 Mill Hill, Shoreham-by-Sea. Watercolour painting. The wooden mill was erected in 1766 and burnt down in c1889. Horse plough in the foreground. Cottage beside the windmill. Horse and cart on the left. Artist Brook Harrison c.1885. From the Sussex Archaeological Society’s Marlipins Collection.

 

B57 Norfolk Bridge Tollgate at Night.   The view is looking north-eastwards with the original Bridge Inn on the right and the buildings housing Harker’s Stores at the other side of the High Street on the extreme left. The painting shows the old cross-timbered gate and red lamp, the former being replaced with a wrought iron gate and the lamp cowl removed by the time the new steel bridge was opened in 1923. Bertram Priestman RA 1869 – 1951 trained at the Slade School of Art. He was only 21 when he first exhibited at the Royal Academy. Elected member of the RA in 1923, Royal Institute of Oil Painters and Royal Society of British Artists. Also exhibited at the Goupil Gallery and Walker Art Gallery, Liverpool. Many of his paintings are still exhibited in galleries throughout the country

 

B58 Hangleton Manor. Although not a painting of Shoreham it is of a nearby neighbourhood and, in any case, is owned by a Shoreham resident which is a good enough excuse for us to include such a superb work of art on our website.

The view is looking south from the hill above Hangleton Manor which can be seen in the near distance. It would seem the artist worked from a point near Hangleton Green, just below St. Helen’s church.  Use the magnified image to fully enjoy the quality of this painting. Notice also the far, middle distance where the southern part of Portslade including Aldrington can be seen with the spire of St.Leonards on the left and the Copperas Gap windmill on the right. A blissfully rural scene in 1904 that is now completely covered by housing.

Little is known of the artist Sidney Goodwin but if current research brings any information to light it will be included here. Dimensions 43″ x 31″ approx. Photograph copyright Paul Everest. 

 

B59 A delightful view from Hill Barn Farm in the foreground towards Lancing windmill and Shoreham in the distance. Now part of a popular walk and a view that can still be enjoyed this painting was completed only a few years before the mill was demolished in 1907 – if you look closely even in 1902 the sails of the mill are fairly dilapidated. The chalk quarry can be seen to the front of the mill and the towers of Old and New Shoreham churches are visible as is the old suspension bridge. Painted by Sidney Pike who exhibited his paintings from 1880 to 1907 – we are having difficulty trying to discover more about the artist and if anyone has any information we would be grateful to know of it.  

 

B62 Kingston Lighthouse watercolour c.1900 by Auguste Comte de Paris. Little is known of the artist but the view looks from Kingston beach by the harbour entrance towards Southwick. The area in the foreground was used at the time for storing wooden buoys of various shapes and types and is the presumed function of the conical shaped barrels on the left. Out of sight to the left were the Customs’ and Pilots’ watch houses. This painting is recorded as being sold by Aldridge Bros., of Worthing in March 1949 when it was entitled “The Lighthouse, Southwick.”

 

B63 Painted circa 1977 by ‘Champion’ (no further details known of the artist) for Toon Ghose illustrating the airport as it was then and Toon at the controls of his De Havilland Chipmunk ‘Lillibet.’ His other two Cessna aircraft are in the distance, the nearest was named ‘Lord Shiva.’ Toon Ghose left Calcutta in 1955 and rode to France on a Vespa Scooter. In France he learned to glide. He set up an Indian gliding record by flying up to 25,000 ft. He later learned to fly powered aircraft and came to England where he took a Commercial Pilot’s Licence.  In 1968 Toon became the Chief Flying Instructor for Cecil Pashley at the Southern Aero flying club. During the 1970s he set up his own business, Toon Ghose Aviation, but the subsequent credit squeeze caused caused the business to go into voluntary liquidation in 1983. from‘Shoreham Airport, Sussex’ by Tim M.A. Webb

 

B64 Eade’s Shop, High Street 1870’s Not a painting of course but an 1870’s advertising print that deserves its’ place, not only as a colourful addition to the gallery but because of its’ rarity. 

 

B65 Shoreham 1888 by James Webb. Currently stored at the Shoreham Civic Centre but, following the Adur Council’s move to Worthing may now have an uncertain future?

 

B66 Etching/aquatint of the original Norfolk Bridge – the artist can only be read as “Bertha Hosnung”. there is also a pencil inscription: “To Mr Fell Dec 1908” Donated by the owner RonaldH.M.L.Ramsay

 

B67 St Mary’s Church – signed by J.Wilkie BA. Date unknown but Wilkie had a boat built for him by Suters of Shoreham (circa 1860’s to 1930’s) – Donated by Gwynneth Wale

 

B68 St.Nicolas Church – artist unkown. Donated by Gwynneth Wale

 

B69 Old Shipyard & River – Artist and date unknown but Lancing College (completed around 1900) is not shown. Donated by Gwynneth Wale

 

B70 A brigantine caught on a lee shore off Shoreham Pier by R.H.Knibbs

 Nibbs (1816–1893) was an English painter and book illustrator who specialised in marine art,  born in Brighton, Sussex  and educated at a school in Worthing (run by the father of watercolourist Henry Tidey). He lived in Brighton throughout his life. Nibbs initially trained as a musician and became a professional cellist with the Theatre Royal orchestra. However, a lifelong love of art combined with a natural talent for detailed observation led him to become a self-taught painter – in both oils and watercolour – particularly of marine subjects. In 1840 a substantial inheritance allowed him to devote himself full-time to art.

His marine art depicts scenes mainly off the coast of his native Sussex, France and Holland – though he also drew buildings and landscapes. He exhibited at the Royal Academy and other institutions. (from Wikipedia)

 

B71 The River Adur looking West. The view is from Soldiers point, a ship is shown being constructed at the May & Thwaites shipyard on the right, further on ships are moored at Kingston wharf with Shoreham beyond. The harbour pilots would wait here for incoming/outgoing vessels to the harbour and could be the three figures in the boat on the right – in later years the lifeboat station was built further up the beach there. It was perhaps painted sometime between the later 1860’s and early 1870’s and is signed but indistinctly dated. The artist was ISAAC WALTER JENNER 1836-1902 who retired from the Royal Navy in 1865 and settled in Brighton gradually achieving recognition as a marine artist. In 1883 he left Brighton and with his family emigrated to Queensland, Australia where he lived the rest of his life and helped to establish the Queensland Art Society in Brisbane

 

B73 An Autumn Morning by James Aumonier 1832 – 1911 

 

B74The Silver Lining 1890 by James Aumonier 1832 – 1911 

 

B75 Lancing Mill looking south to Shoreham and the coast 1894 – Albert Dunnington Stirling Smith Art Gallery and Museum 

 

B76 Water colour 1878 (Town & Bridge) by August Ernest Sembach 1854 – 1898

 

 

B77 Water colour 1878 (Kingston Wharf) by August Ernest Sembach 1854 – 1898

 

B78 Artist F.J. Aldridge – view looking east towards Southwick

 

B79 Artist is Frederick Nash and supposedly dated 1835. The year is likely to be incorrect though as records show that the Brighton Road viaduct (shown in the painting) was not built over the line connecting the Kingston wharves to the main railroad until 1840.

 

B80 Shoreham port steam paddle tug ‘Mistletoe.’ The ‘Stella’ and  the ‘Mistletoe’ were two of the best known steam paddle tugs that worked in Shoreham port. Artist unknown. 

 

B81 Old Shoreham toll bridge looking north-west by Walter Stuart Lloyd. Dated 1904.The Sussex Pad is in the distance, left; Lancing College on the hill and a cottage is depicted below it where the Ricardo factory is now. The latter seems to be artistic licence as there were no buildings on that spot at that time.

 

 

 

 

 

George Hedgecock – Shoreham Shoemaker

George Hedgecock was Shoreham’s well known bootmaker in East Street during the first half of the twentieth century and one of the town’s first cycling enthusiasts in the 1880’s. This collection of family photos is kindly donated by Jan Townsend, the granddaughter of George Hedgecock. Jan has also allowed us to include the story of George’s 1912 motorcycle marathon which can be seen at http://www.shorehambysea.com/1912-shoreham-edinburgh-motorcycle-marathon/  

Jan Townsend

Ropetackle

Photographs from SBS resident “Old Bean” taken between 2004 – 2009.

Ropetackle:

Michael Norman Collection Gallery

An opportunity to wander around the Shoreham of forty years ago and see those old buildings that are now lost to us forever.

 

ShorehambySea.com member Ian Newman has kindly donated the following images he has acquired from part of the collection that were largely photographed and put together by the late Shoreham historian Michael Norman. The majority of these were taken during the 1950’s and 70’s at a time when many of the town’s more important and historical buildings were still standing – the larger properties of St.Wilfrid’s, Longcroft and Athol House in particular but also a good many of our smaller street houses and cottages that have since disappeared.

 

Towards the end of the gallery a few of the older, more unusual images of special interest from the collection have also been included.

High Street

This is a snapshot of the High Street in 2009. The photographs are ordered West to East, and starts at the junction of Victoria Road.  All properties are numbered.  Many thanks to Old Bean for archiving his photographs  to enable us to republish them now.

High Street  – North Side:

High Street – South Side: