Not Shoreham related exactly but such a fascinating, rare and historic collection of naval photographs from Shorehambysea.com long standing member and Shoreham resident John Lyne that we had no hesitation in including them on the website. The photos record some of the ships and events from John’s father William Joseph Lyne’s service with the Royal Navy during WW1 and after. William served initially from 1911 to 1921 and saw action at Heligoland Bight and Jutland. Called up again during WW2 he participated in the Dunkirk withdrawal followed by a posting to Lowestoft providing minesweeping training to Scandinavian refugee sailors. Continue reading “John Lyne Collection”
Bartlett Collection
John Bartlett is descended from the Winton and Maple families of Shoreham. His mother Daphne Maple married Robert Bartlett, both of Old Shoreham, in 1940. The Bartletts came from Lancing and settled in Old Shoreham where John’s grandfather was the collector at the Toll Bridge. John has kindly provided us with a selection of his family photographs dating from the early 1900’s.


Alan Humphries Collection 4 (Southwick & Kingston)
Collector Alan Humphries has kindly allowed us to scan a compilation of photographs and postcards from his unique Southwick and Kingston collection. The images have been especially selected to provide an evocative picture of the area as it once was. The collection is considerable and even a selection will take time to put together. The following images are the first to have been processed and will be added to over the coming weeks.
Continue reading “Alan Humphries Collection 4 (Southwick & Kingston)”
Alan Humphries Collection 3 (Southwick & Kingston)
Collector Alan Humphries has kindly allowed us to scan a compilation of photographs and postcards from his unique Southwick and Kingston collection. The images have been especially selected to provide an evocative picture of the area as it once was.
Continue reading “Alan Humphries Collection 3 (Southwick & Kingston)”
Alan Humphries Collection 2 (Southwick & Kingston)
Collector Alan Humphries has kindly allowed us to scan a compilation of photographs and postcards from his unique Southwick and Kingston collection. The images have been especially selected to provide an evocative picture of the area as it once was.
Continue reading “Alan Humphries Collection 2 (Southwick & Kingston)”Alan Humphries Collection (Southwick & Kingston)
Collector Alan Humphries has kindly allowed us to scan a compilation of photographs and postcards from his unique Southwick and Kingston collection. The images have been especially selected to provide an evocative picture of the area as it once was. The collection is considerable and even a selection will take time to put together.
Continue reading “Alan Humphries Collection (Southwick & Kingston)”Marlipins Gallery 16

Marlipins Gallery 16
A gallery of images ©Sussex Archaeological Society’s Collection held at the Marlipins Museum in Shoreham. Should you require copies of any particular images these are available on request from [email protected]
Expand the image by clicking the thumbnail. To see the thumbnail image in full screen, Control+click, and then zoom.
Filter the gallery images by selecting tag buttons above gallery (military, bridge, aviation...)
Search the image title and descriptions using CTRL+F on your keyboard, (CMD+F on a Mac) and the text will be highlighted.

Miown foundered off Shoreham. Two masts rigging and part of the wheel visible above the sea after the steamship "Miown" was wrecked in a gale one-and-a-half miles SSW of Shoreham. Unidentified man wearing civilian clothes and cloth cap stands in the rigging. The "Miown" was carrying a cargo of cement from London to Bristol and was wrecked so quickly there was no time to send distress signals. The crew took to the water and all were drowned with the exception of Captain Jones who stayed with his ship and survived six hours of exposure. Waterman John Short of Southwick saw the captains's plight and with neigbours William Gardiner owner of the boat "Florence" and Charlie Smart launched the boat and rowed out to the wreck to save the captain. "

Reed's Grocer and Draper, 29 and 31 High Street, Shoreham-by-Sea. Flint house (rebuilt c 1900) with shop window on left side of ground floor, sign above Grocer REED Draper" and "Ready made clothes warehouse". Clothes for sale hanging above shop window and along right side of house. Mattressess chairs a mangle and hip bath are displayed on the pavement. Man and woman wearing long aprons stand in shop doorway. Printed from glass negative by Bob Hill."

Mill Lane, Shoreham-by-Sea. View south from top of Mill Lane across large field towards Shoreham town, tower of the church of St Mary de Haura visible on skyline. Cemetery gatehouse on left, Trinity Cottages second building from left in midground, on far right is the Catholic church. Also in middle ground Cambridge Lodge, Longcroft, and Victoria Road on right.

Aerodrome. Mr. E Roll of the Full inside" revue stands in the cockpit of a Pashley Bros biplane at Shoreham Aerodrome (later Shoreham Airport) seated in front is pilot Eric Pashley. Almost full view of plane from the front showing wheels wings struts cockpit with propellor behind. "Pashley Bros" on side of cockpit. At left woman wearing cloche hat sits at the wheel of an open-topped Austro Daimler motor car licence number LK-8677 with tool-box and spare wheel on the running board AA badge and starting handle visible on front. Restaurant in left background with flag inscribed SCA (South Coast Aero-club?). Low gabled building in background in front of railway embankment is the Aero Club pavilion. Reprinted by Bob Hill from original Winton glass negative owned by John Saunders."

Naval seaplane number 113, Radley England Mk II, Shoreham-by-Sea. Close view of a bi-plane landed on mudflats on the beach, showing struts, wings, tailfin with number 113, small cockpit with propellor behind, floats. Houses in background and power station in distance on left. Reprinted by Bob Hill from original Winton glass negative owned by John Saunders.

Aerodrome. Madge Williams (left) and Cecil Pashley sit in Pashley's Farman biplane ready for a flight, possibly at Shoreham Aerodrome (later Shoreham Airport). Close view of plane showing wheels, struts, wings, small cockpit, propellor behind cockpit. Pashley and Williams wear flying helmets, he wears muffler and goggles. Plane is on flat grassy field with wooden fence and trees in background. Reprinted by Bob Hill from original Winton glass negative owned by John Saunders.

Norfolk Bridge, Shoreham-by-Sea. Western end of High Street, looking west. Cart and horse. Lion and horse statues on the top of the central supporting arches. Toll keeper is on front right with a boy by the toll booth. Cast iron lamps on the bridge. Telegraph pole. The bridge was replaced in the 1920s.

Bungalow Town, Old Fort Filming of a scene from the film The Showman's Dream" at the old fort east of Bungalow Town (now Shoreham Beach). Raised stage with backdrop depicting entrance to a circus and actors and actresses dressed as clown bandsmen and others in normal clothing. Man in sweater possibly director or camerman. Tripod at left. Film made by the Sunny South Film Company. Copy photograph from a glass negative."

Bungalow Town Film Making, 'The Showman's Dream', at the old fort, east of Bungalow Town, Shoreham Beach, Shoreham-by-Sea. Film set of the picture made by Sunny South Films. Raised stage with backdrop depicting entrance to a circus, and actors and actresses, dressed as clown, bandsmen, policeman, and others in normal clothing. Camera man in foreground. The painted backdrop hangs on the brickwork of the Palmerston buildings of Shoreham Fort. Actors Will Evans (Showman) and Arthur Conquest. Copy photograph from a glass negative.

Tub race on the highway from Bramber to Upper Beeding (now The Street) during flooding showing the man identified as the winner with other tubs in the background, watched by onlookers standing on a partly submerged fence and men on horse-back. A man with a pipe and a boy are seated in the back of a horse-and-cart in the foreground, the ruins of Bramber Castle visible in the background. Lettering on the postcard reads Winner of tub race on Highway from Bramber to Upper Beeding during flood Feb. 2. 1904". Donated by Mrs Mopp."

Norfolk Bridge c1919-1920. The old chain-link suspension bridge (built 1832 and demolished in the 1920s) over the River Adur, showing the two arches at either end topped with statues of a lion and a horse, two men on the beach in the foreground standing by a building contractor's board reading John Gill Contractors Ltd ... London". "

Shoreham football club team, Shoreham-by-Sea. Group portrait taken outdoors of the 1904-05 team, West Sussex Senior League champions. Players wearing shirts with vertical stripes laced at the neck, long socks, boots. Two wearing caps and with Sussex FL badges on shirts. Players sit in two rows with arms folded, two men not wearing sports kit stand behind, one with moustache and bowler hat is Mr. Oswald Ball, manager of the team and headmaster of Ham Road School. Middle row third from right wearing white cap is E. D. Gates (captain), front row second left is A. E. Longstaff. Full list of team members given as: E. C. Ayling, goal; G. Gates, F. Rose, backs; W. Ellmer, Alf Maple, Art Maple, half-backs; F. Longstaff, A. E. Longstaff, H. Upton, E. D. Gates, C. Peak, forwards.

Norfolk Bridge 1922 Looking west from Shoreham town, showing the toll booth and men at work on demolition of the old chain suspension bridge (built 1832) for re-building. Signs on the bridge set the speed limit (5 miles), state that Heavy motor cars not allowed over this bridge" and advertise the building contractors "Unit Construction Coy Ltd." of Regent Street London. Reproduction of a photograph."

Norfolk Bridge 1922 Horse-and-cart and workmen removing debris from the northern end of the old chain suspension bridge under demolition, looking towards the high street showing the ironmongers shop, toll house (right) and toll keepers lodge (left). Reprinted from an original glass negative by Robert Hill.

Norfolk Bridge, Shoreham-by-Sea. Looking north to the new bridge over the River Adur under construction, with steam pump removing river water and steam crane with attached bucket at work on coffer dam to permit construction of new additional pier. Reprinted from an original glass negative by Robert Hill.

Shoreham Grammar School, Shoreham-by-Sea, elevated view showing the school in centre, large building with two white gables next to walled garden and playing field with swings and a roundabout. Horse-drawn carriage on street, Norfolk Bridge - suspension bridge over the River Adur - in middle ground on left, railway line with train on right. The picture features on the front of a card sent with Christmas/New Year greetings from Shoreham Grammar School, dated 1933.

Aerodrome. Men women and children gather round a crashed seaplane at Shoreham Airport. The plane was taking part in the Daily Mail air race, probably on 10 August 1914; the pilot escaped with his life. People in foreground partially obscuring the plane which lies on its side, part of fuselage visible with Daily Mail" marked on side all of tail visible with rear float at base of tail. Railway embankment and track in background. " Location identified as adjacent river Adur between river embankment and railway and Old Shoreham Road to the East.

Taxi-cab outside Burrell Arms, Brunswick Road, Shoreham-by-Sea. Full-length view of taxi showing front and side, wheels and carriage lamps visible. Back part of cab roof folded down. Three men wearing suits, caps, boots and gaiters, one smoking cigarette, sit on running-board. Horse in harness visible at right, Burrell Arms hotel in background.

Norfolk Bridge, Shoreham-by-Sea. The old chain suspension bridge, designed by Tierney Clark (built 1832 and demolished in the 1920s), over the River Adur showing decorative arches, rowing boats on the bank. View taken from the northern end. Toll House in the foreground. The northern tower arch has a lion and the southern has a horse. Street lighting on each side of the bridge. Bridge erected by Bernard and Edward Howard.

Shoreham football club reserves team, Shoreham-by-Sea, winners of the West Sussex Junior League 1900-01. Group portrait taken outdoors in front of Ravenscroft house (corner of Raven's Road and Mill Lane), home of R.B. Bell. Twelve team members in three rows standing and sitting, wearing shirts in two different-coloured vertical halves, shorts with belts, long socks, boots, some with shinguards. Trophy and dated ball centre foreground. In back row are three men wearing suits and ties. Identifications standing left-to-right: W. Winton linesman, C. Cheesman, H. Dell, R. B. Dell President, J. Savage, F. Cheesman, Oswald Ball Hon.Sec.; centre row sitting left-to-right: C. Atherfold, M. Slaughter, G. Gates, C. Upton captain, H. Ellmer, M. Cook; front l-r J. Bacon, J. E. Hackett vice-captain.
Marlipins Gallery 13, 14 and 15

Marlipins Gallery 13, 14 and 15
A gallery of images from the Sussex Archaeological Society’s Collection held at the Marlipins Museum in Shoreham. Should you require copies of any particular images these are available on request from [email protected]
Expand the image by clicking the thumbnail. To see the thumbnail image in full screen, Control+click, and then zoom.
Search the image title and descriptions using CTRL+F on your keyboard, (CMD+F on a Mac) and the text will be highlighted.
Gallery 13

High Street, Shoreham-by-Sea. West end of the street. Kings Head pub in the background. West End Stores is next to it. Shops include W.H. Harker ironmongers, Southdown Bus Office, cigar store, and W.B. Muggeridge confectioner. Men, women and children on street. Car and bicycle at the end of the street.

Bungalow Town, Shoreham Beach, view looking east along the main seafront road. Bungalows on left along unmade road, and on right built on the top of the pebble beach. Telegraph poles. Postcard postmarked 23 July 1924, sent to Miss D (Daphne) L?, 49 Greenwood Road, Dalston, London E8, signed Marjorie.

Bungalow Town Church of the Good Shepherd, Bungalow Town, Shoreham Beach. View looking west with church (built 1913) in centre, houses on the beach (south) side of West Beach Road at left, one flying Union flag, telegraph poles in road. Motor car partially visible on right. In front of church a woman posts letter in large post box, man with small child, pram.

Bungalow Town Beach Road. View of bungalow with sign La Boheme" over the door seen across top of pebble beach. Gable end showing bungalow formed of two railway carriages joined by a main room and with outer wooden structure and roof added. Weatherboard walls wicket fence with gate and paving stones forming a path to the beach."

Bungalow Town "Seagull" bungalow Bungalow Town Shoreham Beach. View across pebble beach showing front of bungalow made from a railway carriage with additions at each end corrugated roof man and woman sitting in a deckchair and Lloyd loom chair on verandah behind wicket fence. Flagpole sign "Seagull" over entrance. Glimpse of downs in left background. Postcard postmarked 15 July 1906

Norfolk Suspension Bridge (built 1832), Shoreham-by-Sea. Bridge over the River Adur. Three ladies are posing under the arch. Adur quayside and of St Mary de Haura tower are in the background. Sailing boats in the distance. Horse statue stands on the first classical-style arch, a lion stands on the next.

Bungalow Town, Shoreham Beach. Looking west across pebble beach in foreground, sea on left, wooden breakwaters, bungalows along top of beach at right, some two-storey buildings in background. Some bungalows have verandahs and balconies, wicket fences, one has model of a sailing ship on roof. Telegraph poles in background.

Norfolk Bridge Demolition of Norfolk Bridge, Shoreham-by-Sea. View from east bank of River Adur looking north west, sailing boats moored in right foreground. In middle ground the partly-demolished chain-link suspension bridge built in 1832, with superstructure and the top portion of the two stone arches already demolished. The new iron bridge that replaced it was opened in 1923.
Marlipins Gallery 10, 11 and 12

Marlipins Gallery 10, 11 and 12
A gallery of images from the Sussex Archaeological Society’s Collection held at the Marlipins Museum in Shoreham. Should you require copies of any particular images these are available on request from [email protected]
Expand the image by clicking the thumbnail. To see the thumbnail image in full screen, Control+click, and then zoom.
Filter the gallery images by selecting tag buttons above gallery (military, bridge, aviation...)
Search the image title and descriptions using CTRL+F on your keyboard, (CMD+F on a Mac) and the text will be highlighted.

Hospital Parade, Shoreham-by-Sea. Men, women and children are watching a parade marching down Brunswick Road. Men are matching with banners a drums followed by boy scouts. Eade's Store is on the left in Buckingham Road. Railway buildings are in the background right. Photograph taken from a glass negative. 1912

Mr Goodchild of Shoreham and his family. Family portrait of men, women and children. They are on the lawn outside a house. Woman in the centre window with a baby. Croquet set in the foreground. Mr Edward Goodchild was the High Constable of Shoreham, Ship Owner and once proprietor of the Swiss Gardens. c.1860

Interior of St Nicolas Parish Church, Old Shoreham, looking east along the nave across pews towards altar. Cruxiform shape with north and south transepts. Norman stone arch with 'zigzag' carving and cat's head in centre, writing on walls around arch. The chanel is entered through the screen. Altar in background. c.1920

Interior of St Nicolas Parish Church, Old Shoreham, looking east along the nave across pews towards altar. Cruxiform shape with north and south transepts. Norman stone arch with 'zigzag' carving and cat's head in centre, writing on walls around arch. The chanel is entered through the screen. Altar in background.

Holidaymakers at Lancing Holiday Camp. Men women and children in open-topped bus and open-topped car pose for a photograph taken from south of the A259 road with buildings of Lancing Holiday Camp in background and south Downs in the distance. Women mostly wearing hats or berets, men mostly wearing suits and some with ties. The holiday camp was founded in 1922 and situated between the railway and the A259 road at Lancing. c.1930

Lancing Windmill, near Lancing Ring, Lancing. Close view of post mill with four sweeps (sails) on top of hill, near Lancing Ring. Mr. Moseley the miller stands in doorway wearing suit and cap. Other men on steps of mill and standing to one side near chalk pit. House and barn with piles of loaded sacks in background, group of trees known as Lancing Clump (now Lancing Ring) on skyline. Mill was originally in Hoe Court, but later moved to the south of Lancing Ring, adjacent to the quarry at top of Mill Lane. The windmill was demolished about 1905. photo c.1875

High Street Store, Shoreham-by-Sea. Arthur Eade is the owner. Double fronted shop with a shop assistant in white jacket, bow tie and long apron work clothes by the entrance. Window displays vim, Abbotts mineral water, bread, boxes, cakes. Boxes of biscuits at the door. People and a child are in the shop. Woman inside the shop looking out the window. c.1905

Interior of the bedroom of a railway carriage bungalow, Bungalow Town, Shoreham Beach. Decorative chest of drawers, brass bedstead, wooden chairs, photographs on wall, clothes and straw boater hat hanging on hook, candlestick with candle, net curtains, oilcloth and rug on floor. Many of the houses in Bungalow Town were made of two railway carriages with a connecting room built between them. c.1928
Continue reading “Marlipins Gallery 10, 11 and 12”
Marlipins Gallery 7, 8 and 9

Marlipins Gallery 7, 8 and 9
A gallery of images from the Sussex Archaeological Society’s Collection held at the Marlipins Museum in Shoreham. Should you require copies of any particular images these are available on request from [email protected]
Expand the image by clicking the thumbnail. To see the thumbnail image in full screen, Control+click, and then zoom.
Search the image title and descriptions using CTRL+F on your keyboard, (CMD+F on a Mac) and the text will be highlighted.
Marlipins Gallery 7

Manor House, Kingston, near Shoreham-by-Sea. On the corner of St Julian's Lane and Kingston Lane. Flint facade with tile roofing. Tall chimneys. General Corringe lived there in the 1920s. Later became Caius College, then Shoreham Grammar School, then Shoreham College. Comedian Max Miller (Thomas Sargent), lived at Ashcroft in Kingston Lane in the 1940s.

Lock wall under repair, Shoreham Harbour, Southwick. Close view of the first lock (now the Dry Dock) after part of the north wall collapsed 16 April 1907. Workmen stand on the rubble and on a boat in the dock, onlookers on quayside, masts of sailing ship visible above lock gates in background, boat in foreground.