Author Topic: Kingston Bridge  (Read 661 times)

Nelson

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Kingston Bridge
« on: March 19, 2021, 08:29:24 AM »
We received this in our comments from Clive Mason who had just read an article of ours on the railway sidings at Kingston Bridge:-
‘I have been looking for an article like this, to prove to friends and family, that my memory is sound.
As a lad of about thirteen, back in 1960 I remember riding my bicycle along the coast and riding over a hump back bridge. I’ve been over it several times since, but it no longer exists and nobody seems to remember it.
I assume this was the branch line for trains going to the harbour.
Many thanks.
Clive Roland Mason’

Pleased that your memory has been proved sound Clive. Unfortunately we can’t include photos with ‘comments’ so I’ve added this post on our forum that shows a few photos of the bridge prior to demolition that may bring back more memories for you.
Yes it was above the railway goods yard for the harbour and on the northern side of the bridge connected to the Brighton-Worthing line. (My personal memory of it was as a ‘tummy bridge’ when my Dad would accelerate slightly in the car going up so as to give us that sinking feeling past the ‘hump’ on the other side!)
(Photos Sussex Archaeological Society and Peter Weaver.)

Lihpsir

• View Profile
Re: Kingston Bridge
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2021, 09:14:02 AM »
I recall going over the Kingston bridge on my bike in the late 1940,s
My Aunt lived in one of the houses just beore the bridge and over the bridge on the LH side was a Tamplins brewery storage facility.
On the river side of the bridge was a small tanker ship, out of the water on top top of dock.
My Dad told me me that it was a concrete hulled ship built similar to others at Shoreham during the war, used for storage.

Lofty

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2021, 01:15:52 PM »
Reading Nelson's "tummy bridge" account above reminded me of an event that happened to me in the late 1960's when returning home late one night after attending one of the regular Thursday night rock concerts at Worthing Assembly Hall (does anyone else remember them?).
We were travelling towards Brighton in my friend's Austin Metropolitan.  I don't recollect what sort of speed we were doing, but when we went over the crest of the bridge, the car's bonnet suddenly flew up and we couldn't see a thing !
« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 06:50:03 PM by Lofty »
Lofty

GPO

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2021, 11:19:41 AM »
And there was the café underneath, which some of the postmen used, where they could escape the attentions of any inspectors who didn't know it was there!