Author Topic: Greenways Crescent  (Read 376 times)

vkh

• Infrequent poster
    • View Profile
Greenways Crescent
« on: June 11, 2020, 08:18:35 PM »
Does anyone know what the round stone remains and paths (all covered by grass) on the triangle of grass on the west side of Greenways Crescent (by the upper Shoreham Road intersect) used to be? Thank you

Nelson

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Greenways Crescent
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2020, 07:55:50 AM »
Your question got me interested vkh and I don’t know the answer but have googled these images that may help. None of the OS maps back to the 1930’s show anything on the triangular green.

Doug Attrell

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2020, 08:54:02 PM »
Very interesting. I've been waiting for someone to reply before adding my two penn'orth.
I'm wondering if it was something to do with WWII defences. More details are visible on this aerial photo dated 1946.
http://www.sussex.ac.uk/geography/researchprojects/airphotos-historic/1940/index.html?COL=12+ROW=18+ZOOM=e+GPSX=-1+GPSY=-1

I've cropped & enlarged it from the original photo

Spinalman

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2020, 09:42:10 AM »
There was an almost identical above-ground structure on the green in Connaught Avenue.  I think that must be a WWII structure - maybe a decontamination room, or ARP building?  There is a smaller scale building 200 yards away at the top of Park Avenue that features in the ARP group photograph elsewhere on this forum.

The circle and paths look more like a landscaped green feature. Why build paths in a Y shape unless they are for aesthetic reasons?
Spinalman

Lofty

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2020, 10:51:54 AM »
In the “Shoreham’s War” article on this site, the structure in Connaught Avenue is described as a communal air raid shelter with a water tank. 
Lofty

johnjohn

• Born Shoreham and spent several years at sea in MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2020, 07:36:33 PM »
I would think that it was a water tank with paths to fill it and access it
Johnjohn