Author Topic: Another WW1 Army Camp Hut?  (Read 1498 times)

Nelson

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Another WW1 Army Camp Hut?
« on: December 07, 2017, 10:45:07 am »
We know that after the war one of the huts from the WW1 Army Camp behind Buckingham Park was sold for use as the parish community hall near The Church of the Good Shepherd (1). Another two are said to have been re-erected side by side to become ‘Pandora’ bungalow in New Salts Farm Road – it still survives (2). Detail from the 1946 Shoreham Grammar School pupils and teachers photo includes a very familiar looking outbuilding – could this have been another? (3)

Brian Drury

• View Profile
Re: Another WW1 Army Camp Hut?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 02:08:00 pm »
According to a letter from Arthur Goodchild the huts were 20yd x 7yd. This is confirmed by using the scale plan of the camp overlaid in GE and measuring a few huts.

So, get your tape measure out Roger  :)

Brian Drury

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 02:09:02 pm »
Here is the clip:
I am very pleased to say we are out of the rotten tents and into the huts, they are a lot better.  There’s plenty of room in them and they are dry and clean.  They are 20 yards long and 7 yds wide.  There is supposed to be 40 men in each but there are 36 in mine.  We have 3 boards of two stands each so we are about 5 inches off the floor, and we are going to have straw mattresses and table in a day or two.

Umbra

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 03:31:20 pm »
I was wondering if this bungalow on the left (first photo), built in 1920 and still standing, could have been one of the WWI huts? it doesn't quite fit 7yds wide dimension but does seem to resemble the scale, shallow roof and window spacing of the barrack huts.
In Trevor Povey's recent and excellent talk on the WWI camps he showed an advert for the sale of some of the huts in 1920.
While recently renovating the above bungalow I notice that parts of the structure were bolted together, end to sides and sections, which indicates sectional construction. The floorboards are also all 5ft long which isn't the way you would expect a new bungalow (1920) to be built.

Photo 2 & 3 show bolt and 2 bolt heads
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 03:33:29 pm by Umbra »

Brian Drury

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 03:57:32 pm »
Trevor may have used the material below:
https://1drv.ms/b/s!AtcxErupGaCfwTyEKJuG4aDRJ5vh

Umbra

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2017, 12:39:19 pm »
Extract from above document with hut sizes. Thanks Brian.

Brian Drury

• View Profile