Author Topic: Queensville Bungalow  (Read 2623 times)

Lofty

• View Profile
Queensville Bungalow
« on: April 30, 2017, 03:53:07 pm »
If you look on the front of Eddie's 'Hollywood by Sea' book, there is a picture of a white bungalow.
This was called 'Queensville' and by the looks of it, it may have been a guest house.  Does anyone out there have any idea as to where this was located ?  I have trawled all the usual places for information, to no avail.
Lofty

Spinalman

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Queensville Bungalow
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2017, 05:13:44 pm »
Hi Lofty,

Have you looked at Roger's maps?
http://www.shorehambysea.com/bungalow-town-property-map-1935/
Spinalman

Lofty

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2017, 05:40:47 pm »
Hello, I have a postcard of this bungalow, and Roger's maps and associated information were my first port of call for research when I obtained it a few years ago.  I have also looked on the Bungalow Town site.   
As it is a rainy afternoon today, I am going through the new improved SBS website doing some postcard research.  Good to see it is back online and I find the new layout much easier to navigate than the previous.  Nice job !
Lofty

Spinalman

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2017, 08:59:42 pm »
Hi Lofty,

Roger has dug out the following info:

The 1914 street directory shows ‘Queensville’ as being between ‘Kingsville’ and ‘Cecilia’ (Cecilia Loftus’ bungalow) in Old Fort Road. By 1917 ‘Queensville’ was replaced by ‘Shirley’ and/or ‘Neptunus’ (by the mid 1930’s ‘Shirley’ had been renamed ‘Wavecrest’)

‘Wavecrest ‘ is no.336 on the BT map and ‘Neptunus’ 337.

Hope that helps.

Roger
Spinalman

Nelson

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2017, 07:53:34 am »
Just checked the BT map against the 1912 map and it looks from the footprint that Shirley (renamed Wavecrest) was the earlier Queensville. (I'm sure you know that bungalows were being modified/rebuilt all the time and Queensville's 45degree facing windows match the photo but by the 1930's it had altered.
Roger
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 08:00:58 am by Nelson »

Lofty

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2017, 02:44:54 pm »
Gentlemen,
Thanks indeed for your interest, research and information.
From the 1935 map it appears that Kingsville (plot 335) has a similar footprint to the original Queensville layout under discussion.  Hence is it likely that the two bungalows were not only adjacent but were identical and built together ?
Best regards,
Lofty

Nelson

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2017, 08:02:31 pm »
With similar names (Kingsville/Queensville) I’m sure the chances are they were same date builds but sadly the only map before 1912 is 1898, before any were built in that part of OFR.

Lofty

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2017, 05:19:19 pm »
Thanks Roger,
Today I have been browsing through your Along the beach at Bungalow Town article.
If you go to section A (Widewater to COGS) and look at the second picture down, i.e. above La Morna, the photo shows a row of bungalows with, presumably Widewater on the left and the sea to the right.  This is a popular view and there are many postcards around with this image.  I have a copy of this in my collection which was posted on August 7th 1907.
From the information on the back of the card I can tell you that the name of the bungalow on the right (i.e. nearest the camera) was Dil Khusha.  The message starts off 'This is our Bungalow, the exterior not as good as the interior'.

Lofty

Nelson

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2017, 02:25:49 pm »
I've been so tied up with all the reloading Work Lofty that I missed your last post. Thanks very much for the info. on Dil Khusha - I've taken a note of it!

Nelson

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2017, 08:58:43 am »
You may have seen this Lofty but just in case this is another view of Queensville. The nearest of the two bungalows with the roof top belvederes is Kingsville with Queensville just beyond it. I think this picture supports your theory that both bungalows were almost identical when first built.   
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 09:02:12 am by Nelson »

Lofty

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2017, 11:02:23 am »
Hello Nelson,
That's really interesting, well spotted !
Cheers !
Lofty