Author Topic: WW2 Mystery objects  (Read 1300 times)

Spinalman

• Administrator
    • View Profile
WW2 Mystery objects
« on: October 15, 2017, 07:33:47 pm »
Some time ago there was discussion on these two mystery circle structures... hidden in trees in the Shoreham College grounds but evident in aerial photos from WW2. To me they looked tall and narrow and appeared to have white marked openings on the South face - towards the harbour mouth.  So I surmised they could be navigation aids not visible from the air.
Spinalman

Spinalman

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: WW2 Mystery objects
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2017, 07:36:22 pm »
My theory was that a ship approaching at night would see lights from the two towers and triangulate when to turn to the harbour mouth:

If a ship approaches in the dark from east.
They see a red to the left of the green light. As they steam West, unaware where the harbour entrance is, they see the lights converge until green is masked by the red. that is the cue to slow turn 90 degrees to the North and then once the green is revealed to the left of the red then they should be steaming due North and will see the harbour arm.  As long as the greena nd red are touching they will be aligned with the harbour entrance. If green and red disappears they are two far West. If just green disappears they are too far East and in the shadow of the Red Tower.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 09:56:31 pm by Spinalman »
Spinalman

Spinalman

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2017, 07:42:44 pm »
Others had suggested they were normal fuel tanks for landing craft... but why were they so far from the harbour and the otherside of the obstacle of the railway embankment?    Closer scrutiny of the images suggested the white marks could be a staircase around the side of the towers. But I couldn't find evidence other than these aerials.  Months later I stumbled across this.  This time in 1950 with no roof, no staircase and strange vertical grooves in the tanks.  The original 1940's image is below for comparison.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 09:56:18 pm by Spinalman »
Spinalman

Spinalman

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2017, 07:46:15 pm »
But if they were to get fuel to the harbour - how were they to get over the railway I thought?   Under the bridge!  So I sought evidence from Streetview- and there in the school wall was a hole for a pipe and a bracket to hold the pipe... a second one to the North, and a similar bracket fixing under the bridge. Followed by manholes in the pavement on the corner of Kingston Lane and A259.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 09:51:52 pm by Spinalman »
Spinalman

Spinalman

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2017, 09:50:16 pm »
And Nelson then came up with the pipe's outpoint on the beach;
Spinalman