Author Topic: Critique of an old Painting  (Read 31 times)

Nelson

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Critique of an old Painting
« on: June 30, 2020, 07:19:03 pm »
A circa 1810 painting attributed to John Smith seems at first sight to be a somewhat naÔve illustration perhaps owing something to artistic licence Ė until it is compared to a photograph of the same spot one hundred years later.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 07:22:28 pm by Nelson »

johnjohn

• Born Shoreham and spent several years at sea in MN
    • View Profile
Re: Critique of an old Painting
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2020, 07:31:34 pm »
Interesting to see where Shoreham ships were built before Suters yard
Johnjohn

Nelson

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2020, 10:11:38 am »
That's what I thought too john but I've since been told it, with it's mechanical winch, was only used for pulling up ships for repairs and maintenance. Even the last ships built in Shoreham (Britannia and Osman Pacha) were built in the old shipyard near the suspension bridge. I didn't readily accept this to begin with but have since seen photos that show it.
Incidentally, you and I have mused before how is it possible these old ships were launched without falling over? Looking at this photo it doesnít seem possible to avoid it but, with the Adurís very deep tidal drop, I guess it may have been submerged enough at high tide - particularly the stern? Perhaps others will know?
« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 10:41:31 am by Nelson »

johnjohn

• Born Shoreham and spent several years at sea in MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2020, 08:03:53 am »
I guess that the props were replace as it was gradually winched back into the water until the centre of bouyancy moved to above the centre of gravity.Winching out woud invove reversing the direction of pull by leading the cable round two blocks positioned at the rear.
What amazed me was the reairs done to Captai Cooks ship the 'Endeavour' that was badly damaged on the Barrier Reef,beaching it then careening doing the repairs ( remember there was no B an Q to pop round for timber !) then refloating it....quite some operation !
Johnjohn