Author Topic: After the Berlin Wall came down End of the Cold War  (Read 281 times)

Gerry White

• View Profile
After the Berlin Wall came down End of the Cold War
« on: August 26, 2019, 07:13:16 am »
 A few weeks after the Berlin Wall was demolished, a visitor arrived at Shoreham Airport in the shape of a Soviet MIG 15 , it was serviced, and given a new paint job, in the markings of the Polish Air Force. . Before it flew to Lydd, its exhaust melted the tarmac ,on the runway,

Lofty

• View Profile
Re: After the Berlin Wall came down End of the Cold War
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2019, 10:21:17 am »
I remember this.  It arrived in crates, along with two Polish mechanics who had the job of putting it back together again.

Although the Polish air force had used this plane for photo reconnaissance, it was equipped with cannons which were still fitted and were capable of being fired !

I was fortunate to have a guided tour of this aeroplane shortly after it had been re-assembled, along with a handful of fellow members of the Spitfire Society.  The thing that I remember most was how very basic the plane was in its construction.

There were two bolts sticking up above the centre of the wings, one on each side.  When I enquired to our tour guide as to what these were for, he explained that these were attached to the undercarriage and would disappear into the wing when the plane was flying.  When landing, the pilot would look out of the cockpit and if he could see these bolts sticking up then he knew that the wheels were down.   Not sure whether he was pulling my leg or not.   Probably not.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2019, 07:51:52 pm by Lofty »
Lofty

Gerry White

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2019, 10:27:37 am »
 The Mig 15 like many Soviet Aircraft were rather crudely built , just perhaps capable of performing, but like the Trabant, unreliable.  No one was pulling you leg Lofty...

Lofty

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2019, 10:49:07 am »
When we had the guided tour, one of my colleagues remarked “it’s about as technically advanced as a skateboard”.
Lofty

Doug Attrell

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2019, 12:36:46 pm »
There were two bolts sticking up above the centre of the wings, one on each side.  When I enquired to our tour guide as to what these were for, he explained that these were attached to the undercarriage and would disappear into the wing when the plane was flying.  When landing, the pilot would look out of the cockpit and if he could see these bolts sticking up then he knew that the undercarriage was down.   To this day I am still not sure whether he was pulling my leg or not.   Probably not.
Not pulling your leg at all.  Some marks of Spitfire had a similar mechanical indicator. Also other WWII aircraft including the Messerschmitt Bf 109. Simple but effective.

The attached image is copied from the Spitfire IIa & IIb Pilot's Notes.