Author Topic: Upturned Boats Again  (Read 240 times)

Nelson

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Upturned Boats Again
« on: November 27, 2018, 12:43:29 pm »
Some time ago Spinalman drew our attention to a late 19th century photo of what looked like upturned boat/ship hulls, presumably used as sheds, on the west side of Victoria Road opposite the point where Rope Walk meets Victoria. Looking through the 1927 ‘Britain from Above’ aerial photos I wondered if one of them still survived at that time. I don’t think it is but  Charles Edward Peak, left wing for Shoreham FC’s 1905/6 record breaking side and fruit grower owned the Southdown Nursery at the top of The Meads recreation ground (where the greenhouses are) and lived at the house shown side-on at the corner of the plot in question (then 16 Victoria Road, now number 77). It looks like a lovely little oasis in an encroaching sea of houses and may well have belonged to Peak as well. Other photos of the main entrance are also attached.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 12:50:23 pm by Nelson »

johnjohn

• Born Shoreham and spent several years at sea in MN
    • View Profile
Re: Upturned Boats Again
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2018, 07:44:16 pm »
Looking at the 1933 map it appears that the school marked on it must have been demolished around 1934 and a new one built ?
Johnjohn

Nelson

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2018, 01:53:11 pm »
I don't think it was demolished johnjohn but certainly a new building was added. Can you remember where your 1940 class photograph was taken?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 01:56:53 pm by Nelson »

johnjohn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2018, 08:13:57 am »
It must have been that a new classroom was added because the plan drawing is not the same as it is today and when the photograph was taken.
Johnjohn

johnjohn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2018, 08:50:38 am »
Have looked up the current plan and see that I had a wrong impression of the size of the classroom ( The NW projection from the main building ) I had imagined that it was much longer......that is where the photograph was taken.
Johnjohn

Spinalman

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2018, 08:47:34 pm »
Have looked up the current plan and see that I had a wrong impression of the size of the classroom ( The NW projection from the main building ) I had imagined that it was much longer......that is where the photograph was taken.
I am certain the photo was taken with the pupils sitting on a small wall (18 inches high and 12 inches deep) that contained a flower bed and that was infront of the crittall windows of the two reception classrooms on the most North Westerly arm of the Infants school.  The wall was broken by three steps up to the double classroom doors of each class.

The change in layout of the school was because the Juniors was built first, and then the infants, and the Juniors cloakroom added later.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 08:49:08 pm by Spinalman »
Spinalman