Author Topic: Murder Most Foul? (and a mystery bungalow)  (Read 2284 times)

Nelson

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Murder Most Foul? (and a mystery bungalow)
« on: June 21, 2017, 12:30:56 pm »
The photographer arranged the ladies here to pose inside the 1912 bungalow wreckage. Notice the unsteady looking, heavy wooden panel behind the lady on the right and see it later on the floor in the second photo.
Imagine the scenario – photographer places wife in the danger area with his mistress just to the side of her but out of range of the dodgy panel. She is holding a rope behind her attached to the panel that she tugs on a signal from him.
Naah – of course not, but those women were taking a bit of a risk don’t you think?

Nelson

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Murder Most Foul? (and a mystery bungalow)
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2017, 12:39:11 pm »
That lighthearted look led to a search for the lidentity and location of the wrecked bungalow. We found another photo showing a distinctive tower like structure behind at the rear of the wreck but could only find an uncertain match from this old faded postcard (or through the spray) that with a bit of extra contrast shows a similar roof top to the top photo. Both photos seem to record the damage at Widewater - to the left of the top photo may be Mill Hill in the distance (i.e., looking east) and could the right of the lower photo perhaps be the Shopsdam area at Lancing? (looking west)

Lofty

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2017, 04:37:58 pm »
I am led to believe that one of the local postcard producers put out a whole series of cards depicting this bungalow and its demise.
I have three differing copies of this, one is the same as your initial post with the two ladies and was issued by F Rowe.
Another is looking in the same direction, but has a gigantic wave crashing over from the right hand side.  No publisher, no notes on the back, but there is a caption which says 'Huge waves at the Gap during the great storm March 5th. No 21'.  (This must be one of the series).
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 05:09:26 pm by Lofty »
Lofty

Nelson

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2017, 09:18:35 am »
Thanks Lofty - Lancing historian Philip Fry has confirmed the bungalow's name as 'Wild Wave' and our Bungalow Town property maps and listings show it as one of a fair number of bungalows that were lost to that particular storm.

Lofty

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2017, 09:25:53 am »
Never was a bungalow more aptly named !
Thanks for the information, I will pencil in the details on the back of the cards.
Lofty

Nelson

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2017, 05:40:50 pm »
Probably the best one of the event before the bungalow was destroyed that I've seen.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2019, 01:36:17 pm by Nelson »