Author Topic: Posts from the past - illustrations from the forum  (Read 17569 times)

johnjohn

• Born Shoreham and spent several years at sea in MN
    • View Profile
Re: Posts from the past
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2018, 08:12:59 am »
Do you remember in early 2008 the Greek registered 'Ice Prince' had a problem with stability when her deck cargo of timber shifted and she eventually capsized and sank.....most of the cargo ended up on Worthing Beach but a lot ended up at Shoreham,much of it eagerly collected by D.I.Y ers .(correction it should have been 'flotsam' and not 'dunnage' in the sketch )
Johnjohn

Nelson

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2018, 11:00:57 am »
I remember that johnjohn and how guilty I felt trying to hide one of the planks under my coat ..... until I saw people taking van loads away!

johnjohn

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2018, 08:19:18 pm »
Did you use it for making furniture or Kindling ?
I don't know what the post mortem came up with on the cause of this event,but the national registry made me suspicious regarding the stability when she sailed....I remember that under the pressure of the owners some tankers were loaded with a 'hog' by loading the forward and after tanks to cause the bend then slowly load the middle so that the plimsoll ended up higher that it should have been...after sailing the cargo could be moved to return it to the real loaded level.....
Johnjohn

johnjohn

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2018, 08:04:24 am »
Some time ago on the old site a restaurant owner posted that they were going to do an international menu on certain days....the menu was entitled 'Quo Vadis'.I imagined what the fare could be like for certain countries.
Their project started around February the fourteenth
Johnjohn

johnjohn

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2018, 08:33:01 am »
This may have sparked a discussion on the lack of Shoreham takeaways ( At that time ! )
Johnjohn

johnjohn

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2018, 08:07:29 am »
It was reported in the Argus last week that the Duke and Duchess of Sussex were going to come to Sussex for a visit...on the way to Brighton, where they are expected to pop in to the Royal Pavilion, they could be passing through Shoreham.
To present a nicer view of our town we are covering up the local eyesores and moving any drunks or rough sleepers seen as was done at the time of the last Royal Visit.
Johnjohn

johnjohn

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2018, 07:48:47 pm »
Do you remember in early 2008 the Greek registered 'Ice Prince' had a problem with stability when her deck cargo of timber shifted and she eventually capsized and sank.....most of the cargo ended up on Worthing Beach but a lot ended up at Shoreham,much of it eagerly collected by D.I.Y ers .(correction it should have been 'flotsam' and not 'dunnage' in the sketch )

Have just unearthed a couple of snaps of the event,a Worthing 'Keep Off ' sign and some of the deposits on Shoreham Beach
Johnjohn

johnjohn

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2018, 08:18:00 am »
But Worthing got it worse !
Johnjohn

johnjohn

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2018, 08:25:02 am »
There was a discussion among the site posters about the choice of their favourite GP......I think it must have been around late October !
Johnjohn

johnjohn

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2018, 08:18:38 am »
As Politics have been in the news for the past weeks,it reminded me of the time when the MP's expenses scandal broke and  was widely discused on the forum. Claims for Duck Houses and Toilet Rolls were mocked although the latter was debated as being an essential expense for some Politicians.
Johnjohn

johnjohn

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 04, 2018, 08:24:25 am »
Before the days of our Cyborg/Humanoid production facility, we encouraged ideas from DIY contributors. The attatched was a machine to convert dog energy into useable power. On the command 'Walkys', the animal would go to position and its interest maintained by either a coiled lead or a juicy bone.
Johnjohn

johnjohn

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 05, 2018, 08:03:40 am »
For rubbish disposal the council used to supply black plastic sacks and a blue plastic box for re cyclables...then it was decided that wheely bins would be provided,blue for recyclables and grey for the general landfill rubbish..... and for a small charge,a green one for garden refuse.
Comment was made on the forum about the disadvantages of the new scheme and the problems of vandalism and stability of them in high winds.
I thought that a new competitive sport might be started.
Johnjohn

Spinalman

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2018, 11:38:08 am »
Hi JohnJohn,

Did you do a cartoon about the new "Ferry Bridge" that is not a ferry bridge?  I see the same old BS is spoken about it:  A spokesman from West Sussex County Council said: “Since it opened in 2014, Adur Ferry Bridge has provided significant benefits to the local community."       So the same benefit as the old bridge then?
Spinalman

johnjohn

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 05, 2018, 07:39:35 pm »
Yes,I did not agree with the name of the new footbridge ' Ferry Bridge' is a bit of an oxymoron and it is just not a FerryBridge ! I did belly ache a bit with others on the site and as far as I am concerned it is just the new footbridge.
I did some cartoons about ways of crossing the river but as river crossings are too sensitive to joke about at the moment I will hold back for a while.
Johnjohn

johnjohn

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 06, 2018, 08:21:28 am »
After assisting Gerry solve the problem of local dog poo contamination.We decided to produce a modification that not only cleared up the streets but arrested owners that had been seen not clearing up their pooches deposits.....later release would depend on compulsory attendance to a Dog fouling awarenes course
Johnjohn