Author Topic: Old Photographs of Shoreham part 1  (Read 2947 times)

Lofty

• View Profile
Old Photographs of Shoreham part 1
« on: June 13, 2017, 11:26:20 am »
test 1 (failed).

I am having a challenge attaching scanned images to posts.

This is my first attempt at this.  When I hit 'preview' after thinking that I have attached the image, I either get a message "your file is too large, the maximum attachment size is 600kB" or I get a blank screen.

Any suggestions ?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 02:16:45 pm by Lofty »
Lofty

Nelson

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Old Photographs of Shoreham part 1
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2017, 01:08:06 pm »
Where was this Lofty?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 07:34:51 am by Spinalman »

Lofty

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2017, 04:54:57 pm »
The image that has arrived (above) is a copy of a photo that I scanned this morning.  How it has got on to the system is a mystery to me as I never pressed the post button or had any acknowledgement on the screen that any attachment had been successful.

When adding an attachment I was expecting to see some sort of icon to appear on the screen similar to when you send an image using e-mail.  Hence can I presume that everything is OK when nothing appears?

However, now that the image has magically turned up, what we are looking at is the demolition of a building located on the east side of John Street, positioned opposite St Peters church.  The date would be circa 1954.
The building was replaced by a row of three garages which still exist today.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 05:42:37 pm by Lofty »
Lofty

Nelson

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2017, 05:38:22 pm »
Yes, we're all learning it at the moment and, like you, I found it strange that when you hit 'post' the attached photo doesn't show and you are returned to the main forum, then have to return to that particular part of the forum to see the finished post. Perhaps we're doing something wrong - no doubt Paul will put us right.

Spinalman

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2017, 07:57:03 am »
OK. I have increased the file size to 1600kb per image.  I have just tested adding an image to Nelson's post. It does appear to load correctly and did return me to the finished post and showed the image.
Spinalman

Lofty

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2017, 10:19:29 am »
Thanks for your advice etc, gentlemen.
Here is my second attempt ......

What we are looking at is a photo of Combers shop at the bottom of East Street, circa 1905.
This was later demolished and was replaced by the shop we all know as Luckings men's outfitters.
I believe this is a photo of a photo, so you may have seen it before.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 03:57:41 pm by Lofty »
Lofty

Nelson

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2017, 11:53:00 am »
That is a cracker but a sad reminder of what was originally a mediaeval building, pulled down to make way for a modern shop.

Nelson

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2017, 07:15:34 am »
Going back to the John Street photo, here's another view of the house in relation to the rest of the street.

Lofty

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2017, 12:43:36 pm »
Hello Nelson, that's a nice interesting early view although not too much has changed over the years.
I was wondering if the two youngsters were waiting for the pub to open ...........
Lofty

Nelson

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2017, 01:41:35 pm »
Old photos are always worth scrutinising beyond the general view that they cover as they can often reveal intersting detail that is often overlooked. This shows a bungalow being built (centre of the enlargement), a railway carriage alongside with timbers leant against it and the catholic church on the mainland in the distance.

Nelson

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2017, 09:14:45 am »
More detail from old photos this time featuring Cooks jam makers who were quite a large producer in their time. Top left shows the c.1920s factory in Dolphin Road with the growing fields and greenhouses behind it top right an advertisement from the building that once stood on the Coronation Green location and below, squeezed in the corner of  this 1920s photo, a rare record of Cooks bottled jams.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 09:16:19 am by Nelson »

Lofty

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2017, 09:56:59 am »
The Cook's Jam building on (what is now) Coronation Green was destroyed in a fire on 27th August 1911.   When the place was rebuilt, the roofline was altered significantly.
Lofty