Author Topic: Postcards within Postcards  (Read 1151 times)

Nelson

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Postcards within Postcards
« on: December 18, 2018, 12:32:59 pm »
Look carefully on this enlargement of postcards for sale at the Winton shop in Brunswick Road and you can just make out enough detail to match them to copies of identical cards from our galleries.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 02:47:30 pm by Nelson »

Lofty

• View Profile
Re: Postcards within Postcards
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2018, 03:47:06 pm »
I have a black and white copy of the postcard located top-left in Nelson's illustration above.

This was published by W Winton Junior, and was posted on 4th August 1918.

There is a scan of this card below .................... anything wrong ?

Lofty

Nelson

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2018, 05:17:11 pm »
Nice find Lofty - is that a printers error or your clever editing?

johnjohn

• Born Shoreham and spent several years at sea in MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2018, 07:43:53 pm »
St Marys Church ?....wrong town ...and was the Lancing College Chapel at that stage of construction in 1918 ?
Johnjohn

Lofty

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2018, 10:40:26 am »
This multi-view postcard has always intrigued me - how is it that a Shoreham resident who takes Shoreham photographs and prints his own Shoreham postcards can make such a fundamental error?  Where did this image come from?  Why was it in his studio? 
However, as can be seen in the opening post above, some of these cards were issued with the correct photo.
A point to ponder here is that the caption is correct, it is only the photograph that is not.  This means that this could be a photo of any church located anywhere, although some similarities to the St Mary's Churches located in Reigate and East Preston do exist.
The big question is - where is this church ?
Lofty

Nelson

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2018, 12:25:04 pm »
Looking at the erroneous church it does seem familiar but no doubt because it is very much like hundreds of other churches. None of the Winton clan that I can see were associated with any other town or church Ė perhaps it was just an error by one of Bill Wintonís printing assistants but why did the printing works have a picture of that particular church I wonder? 

swissgardens

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2018, 10:15:13 pm »
As said in previous threads the photo of St. Mary's Shoreham is incorrect. I have decided the church was somewhere in Sussex and checked photos on the net. In the end I also decided the church was in a town beginning wityh 'S'. I will not say how many photos I looked at except it was very many. Eventually I found what I believe is the one shown as St. Mary's. It is St. Leonard's Seaford. I found this in the Francis Frith photos. The link is below and I think I have also attached the photo. If other agree it is the correct church it does not explain why the mix-up. Clearly we will never know.

https://www.francisfrith.com/seaford/seaford-st-leonard-s-church-and-lychgate-1897_39541

Nelson

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2018, 08:11:14 am »
There canít be any doubt about that, swissgardens Ė well tracked down and what great perseverance! I think I may have found a connection with Seaford, albeit a tenuous one and will come back when I find out more.

johnjohn

• Born Shoreham and spent several years at sea in MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2018, 08:40:30 am »
Well done !...I gave up searching after a while looking for a fairly modern Church named St. Mary's with that unusual butress
Johnjohn

Lofty

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2018, 09:29:28 am »
Bingo !

We have a result - many thanks and congratulations swissgardens for all your efforts, I hope it didn't take up too many hours (but I suspect it did).

I have tried trawling churches on the internet myself - I started with Shoreham and worked outwards, but when I got as far as Worthing, Horsham, Haywards Heath and Brighton I gave up the attempt.

Now ................... did Winton's ever issue any Seaford postcards ?
Lofty

Nelson

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2018, 11:14:08 am »
Inspired by swissgardens resolve in tracking down the church Iíve been doing a bit of homework myself. William Winton juniorís mother Emma nee Lower can be traced before her marriage in Ham Road, Shoreham living with Jane Newington from Seaford. Next door, or more probably in the same household, was George Cheal and his family also from Seaford Ė Emmaís mother was a Cheal.
So nothing conclusive but enough to suggest a family connection with the Seaford church.