Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Topics - Nelson

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14
Shoreham Discussion / 18th Century Residents
« on: Today at 12:44:49 pm »
Images of 18th century Shoreham residents are few and far between but we do have these four:-
Henry Roberts, hydrographer who sailed with Captain Cook and mapped the Australian oceans. Henry lived initially in Church Street before moving to St.Mary’s House.
John Butler, another Church Street resident - he captained ‘The Hound’ customs cutter and his exploits are recorded in ‘Memories of a Shoreham Seafaring Family’ on this web site.
Elizabeth Hawkins, John Butler’s sister who married John Roberts Hawkins
John Roberts Hawkins, an earlier captain of ‘The Hound’ under whom John Butler initially served as first mate. Hawkins and his wife lived at  Chantry House in East Street.

Shoreham Discussion / Clearing the Beaches
« on: July 20, 2020, 10:18:29 am »
A collection of images showing wartime mines being detonated on the beach using prisoners of war (sounds worse than it was – they were well protected and operated a water cannon).
Apologies for the low resolution and watermarks – these are borrowed images

Shoreham Discussion / Figurehead Goes Missing!
« on: July 14, 2020, 09:14:47 am »
The things we overlook. We often look back on old posts and in particular this one that we were fairly sure was of the Kittiwake bungalow fire. We've only just noticed another clue that helps confirm it. The Kittiwake owner had two ships’ figureheads (HMS Pearl and HMS Scylla) in the ‘garden’ but look what’s being rescued in the distance left – can’t be absolutely sure but looks very much like the Pearl figurehead!
Subsequent photos of the rebuilt Kittiwake show the Scylla figurehead in the front but no trace of Pearl unless that was round the back – did it go missing that day? Another thought is that those figureheads were solid wood yet seems not to be too heavy for that gentleman! 

Shoreham Discussion / The Ghosts of St.Mary's Hall
« on: July 11, 2020, 12:23:28 pm »

Shoreham Discussion / Dame Vera Lynn
« on: July 10, 2020, 12:40:51 pm » time visitor to Marlipins Museum........

Shoreham Discussion / Inside the Lighthouse
« on: July 09, 2020, 07:52:50 am »
At last – inside the lighthouse (photos and article from Sussex Life found by Neil De Ville)
Did you know…
What’s behind this door?
For those that like the Shoreham lighthouse, then we have an absolute treat for you today. For years we’ve seen the dull grimy path with the old door and often wondered what it was like inside. We wondered what the view was like at the top. We wondered what sort of bulb is used (and we now know it’s not a 100w Osram bulb). We wondered what the stairs looked like. And did you know there are gargoyle/dragon type heads going around the top of the lighthouse? All of these questions can now be revealed. We’ve managed to get some photos of the inside which answer all the questions we had. We hope you find them as interesting as we did.
Photo credit: Unknown.

More photos in next post

Shoreham Discussion / Critique of an old Painting
« on: June 30, 2020, 07:19:03 pm »
A circa 1810 painting attributed to John Smith seems at first sight to be a somewhat naïve illustration perhaps owing something to artistic licence – until it is compared to a photograph of the same spot one hundred years later.

Shoreham Discussion / Bungalow Town 1946
« on: June 01, 2020, 11:26:44 am »
An interesting panorama of  four photos sent to us by Chris Mead. Taken by his father in 1946 from one of the flats above the shops in Ferry Road it looks out westwards across a barren landscape following the wartime clearance of most of the bungalows. Amongst those that survived were West and East House(s) on the extreme right. Just beyond the old sports club are two house boats, the one on the right is Skylark and to the left of it is what looks like an MTB that to me is very similar to one that survived until recent years – perhaps someone remembers it’s name?
Why were the two bungalows in the centre of the view left untouched I wonder? The smaller one was named ‘Barge’ but the larger doesn’t appear to have been named and is just noted as  No. 81 on the BT Properties list.
Lastly, along the shore can be seen the anti-tank blocks that were removed a few years later - the lower photo of blocks at Lancing gives an idea of them closer up.

It turns out that The Keep archives at Lewes may have a rare photo of the election stone (or part of it) outside Stone House in the High Street.

Shoreham Discussion / Rockets on the Beach
« on: March 15, 2020, 04:30:19 pm »
The large shed(s) or small building(s) marked on the 1931 OS map as ‘Rocket Apparatus’ and with a red dot on the photo, apparently also contained other lifesaving equipment such as lines, breeches-buoys etc., Following the coast from Lancing to Seaford on maps for the same year and earlier faithfully record other coastguard cottages as well as Shoreham’s but don’t seem to show any further references to rocket apparatuses.

Why is Shoreham’s the only one to be shown – weren’t there any others at that time? From a practical point of view why weren’t they stored closer to the sea?

Shoreham Discussion / Did St Mary’s church ever have a spire?
« on: March 10, 2020, 04:56:37 pm »
These images tend to support the view that it did:- Gough’s 1360 map, drawn when St Mary’s was just two hundred or so years old, and detail from the panel of a 17th century chimney piece in Marlipins Museum (photo Giles Standing). The carving was believed by some to be ‘an inexact but legitimate representation of St Mary’s Church with its nave intact (and spire)’ (Salmon 1903: 237) but many dispute this, quoting a lack of of any evidence of a spire at all in the known records and that the carving was simply a stylised representation of a church in the early 17th century. The same argument is put in the case of the 1360 map.

Shoreham Discussion / Reminiscences of a Shoreham Resident
« on: February 25, 2020, 02:13:25 pm »
Mr. Clarke lived in Church Street during the 1930’s, he used to help pump the bellows at the Burtenshaw blacksmith family’s forge in Middle Street behind their houses. His father was Head Chef at Lancing College and number 22 across the road was the College Laundry where linen from the college was dropped off by a van each day.

During the last war when the beaches were closed Cuckoo’s Corner became a bathing lido. Something of a surprise perhaps bearing in mind the not inconsiderable number of drownings there during the early 1900’s through to fairly recent years.

One Shoreham doctor would tell mothers (that had children) suffering from muscular fever to strip the patient off and lay them in the river mud at low tide to let the iodine from rotting seaweed effect a cure.

There was a doctor’s surgery on the churchyard (possibly the surgery in East Street) where a Dr. Hall carried out ‘boyhood operations’ on the kitchen table, set broken limbs and made up his own medicines.

Snellings butcher shop is mentioned at the south side of the gap (before it was all demolished) – at Christmas time he would always display a very large whole pig with a lemon in its mouth on a trestle table.

The annual regatta was held on both sides of the footbridge and included in the ‘games’ was the greasy pole, suspended beneath the footbridge which Bill Peters usually won; builder’s races where participants rowed with shovels and fights between the millers and the sweeps using bags of flour and soot as ammunition. At half-tide football was played on the mud and the two fishing families Lakers and Pages would race against each other running and rowing across the river and back.

Even in those days there was still work on boats being  carried out (Suters Yard for example) and on a quiet day the sounds of the adze and caulking mallet could be heard as far away as Slonk Hill. 

Shoreham Discussion / HMS Pheasant
« on: February 25, 2020, 11:15:50 am »
HMS Pheasant was built for the Royal Navy in 1798 by John Edwards at Shoreham. A sloop of 373 tons burthen, 106 ft gundeck, 16 six-pounder guns, 4 twelve pound carronades, two nine-pounders and a compliment of 121 crew. It was an amazing coincidence to discover that a predecessor captured by the French in the Caribbean but released in an exchange of prisoners was conveyed to HMS Spartiate some miles away in the Pheasant. Shortly after he was still with the Spartiate when that vessel took part in the Battle of Trafalgar.

Shoreham Discussion / A Forgotten Corner
« on: February 23, 2020, 01:30:28 pm »
The chimney marks the building at the east end of the High Street, now Coronation Green area, where Thomas Clayton’s ‘Roman Cement Manufactury’ once belched it’s chalk and lime laden smoke depositing its grey ash over the town during the early 1800’s; a barracks was set up there during the Napoleonic War invasion threats; it later became the Albion Steam Brewery and finally the Winton family’s printing works before being demolished during the 1938 road widening. Behind that Paine’s ironmongery business traded for many years alongside Snelling’s butcher shop.

Shoreham Discussion / Shoreham Residents in Advertisements.
« on: February 23, 2020, 12:08:29 pm »
Hadfield’s advert featuring early 1900’s Old Shoreham farmer William Norman and his massive mangolds! In 1910 another Shoreham character that featured in an advert was Myrtle Winton who’s husband Reg Eley ran a motor cycle business in Shoreham. This over-pasted and grubby insertion from the ‘Motor Cycle’ magazine in the Winton family scrap book is nevertheless an interesting relic perhaps.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14