• You cannot reply to this topic

The Curry Place

#81 User is offline   thermo Icon

• Super Boarder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Senior Member

Posted 17 March 2012 - 21:14 PM

View PostTricky Dicky, on 17 March 2012 - 11:49 AM, said:

Whilst it's a reasonable point, I would guess the general environment would point to the attitude to cleanliness and a chef who maintains a clean kitchen is more likely to have good habits in other areas, than one with greasy walls. I would like to know what tests or checks ar edone to work out these scores and ratings - and if they are representative, maybe the estalishment ought to be forced to put their score on the door & menus.

i got to go in various establishments when i was in the police, and some of those that have the nicest front of house had absolutley disgusting kitchens, so never judge a book by its cover

#82 User is offline   ahmurray Icon

• Gold Boarder
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 March 2012 - 21:53 PM

Decided to try Shati tonight instead, just waited 90 mins for my delivery, no apology when it arrived. Nice food but luke warm. Annoyed.com

#83 User is offline   JC Icon

• Super Boarder
  • Interests:Yes

Posted 17 March 2012 - 22:07 PM

View Postahmurray, on 17 March 2012 - 20:53 PM, said:

Decided to try Shati tonight instead, just waited 90 mins for my delivery, no apology when it arrived. Nice food but luke warm. Annoyed.com

Rating of 3 - Generally Satisfactory. But not tonight.

#84 User is offline   johnjohn Icon

• UberSuper Boarder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Being a Grumpy Old Man.<br />Setting the World right.

Posted 17 March 2012 - 22:22 PM

Exactly,dont judge a book by its cover,as long as the worktops are clean,no flys buzzing around,the food storage is protected from vermin and the staff wash their hands,whats the problem?....if you were on a merchant ship just a few years back your food could be prepared in spotless but cockroach infested galleys,the bread would possibly contain lots of little black specs ( dead weevils )and their live siblings might be seen swimming to the side of your bowl of cornflakes....We would have a regular routine of spraying out the galley with a powerful insecticide called 'Shelltox' but the effect was minimal,turn on the lights and the floor would be black with them before they scuttled off to their homes.....food poisoning?...never! I guess the food inspectors would have given us a minus rating and closed the galley down!
On occasions when one eat ashore in Summer in Naples or Sicily would you have a problem with the 'Soopa da Peche' but that was possibly due to the fly borne bacteria that the locals must be immune too
An optimist thinks that the future is uncertain

#85 User is offline   Angieb Icon

• Gold Boarder
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 March 2012 - 23:21 PM

I think it is worth mentioning that the ratings are not just for cleanliness, the majority of the points are gained by having proper paperwork in place. I, therefore, don't really judge a place on its score on the door - I judge it by looking at the floor.

#86 User is offline   PaulOckenden Icon

• Part of the Furniture Boarder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 March 2012 - 00:28 AM

True to a degree Angie, but looking at the floor won't tell you whether food is being refrigerated properly, or cooked to the correct temperature. These are things that the inspectors also check.

P.
If you think I've posted something out of order - and you wouldn't be the first - please see the note on my About Me page (just click my photo)

#87 User is offline   green angel Icon

• green angel
  • Interests:Classic cars, machine tools, how Councils run, Politics, .

Posted 18 March 2012 - 11:06 AM

There was a program on telly last week regarding food hygiene safety

One point hit home regarding not keeping the food cold is the bacteria breeds if its not kept cold, and if bacteria eats to breed it also defecates in your food, and heating the food might kill the bacteria but the bacterias shit is still there when you eat the food and that can make you ill.

Do hope this post doesn't spoil your breakfast.

#88 User is offline   miseryguts Icon

• Platinum Boarder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 March 2012 - 15:19 PM

great website - see a popular cafe in town scored 5 so thought I'd pay my first visit there yesterday - imagine my surprise when through the window I spotted the assistant gather some crumbs from one of the cakes with her finger, then lick it, before going back for some more :shock:
I still went in but opted for a different cake :mrgreen:

I'm sure the inspectors don't get to see those little 'episodes' or poor hygiene

#89 User is offline   johnjohn Icon

• UberSuper Boarder

Posted 18 March 2012 - 22:03 PM

Just think of all those nasty little germs that accumulate in 'free sample' or 'taster' bowls in supermarkets,how many unwashed germ laden hands dive in for the little cheese samples in Tesco's?

#90 User is offline   PaulOckenden Icon

Posted 18 March 2012 - 22:05 PM

Salad bars without sneeze guards!

P.
If you think I've posted something out of order - and you wouldn't be the first - please see the note on my About Me page (just click my photo)

#91 User is offline   oldbean Icon

• Platinum Boarder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 March 2012 - 02:33 AM

All of the above examples and yet we are all still here talking about it live and well!

Okay johnjohn, maybe you don't go for the supermarkets free samples and the same for Paul with salad bars. But you don't hear (or at least rarely :shock: ) of people dropping like flies because of them!

Okay so none of want serious food poisoning or the like and you do have to be very carefull with certain types of food, but in relation to the above examples, isn't it a good thing not to be 100 percent hygenic?

If we were then we would never have resistence against any germ and then we would drop like flies!

P.S.

I of course also don't like the thought of someone sticking there finger in a piece of cake I'm going to eat or sneazing over anything.

#92 User is offline   Ferryman Icon

• Super Boarder
  • Interests:Bevving down the ferry ;)

Posted 20 March 2012 - 15:10 PM

View Postjohnjohn, on 17 March 2012 - 09:27 AM, said:

I treat these hygiene ratings with a pinch of salt....does it really matter if the kitchen walls are splattered with grease and the cooking pots are a bit grubby...what does matter is if the staff wash their hands thoroughly after going to the loo and no inspector can guarantee that!

I watched an inspector on that BBC programme the other day and it really isnt based on things like food on walls. Its all down to personal hygiene, work surface cleanliness, food storage temperature / conditions and cross contamination risks. They were going to close a place down as they didnt have hot running water.

Another place thought it was ok to store raw chicken on top of cooked chicken in the fridge etc.

One place got a score of 2 even after they found insects legs in with the cutlery in the kitchen.

To get a score of zero must involve serious breaches of everything (e.g rat infestations etc).

#93 User is offline   Ferryman Icon

• Super Boarder

Posted 20 March 2012 - 15:13 PM

View Postjohnjohn, on 18 March 2012 - 21:03 PM, said:

Just think of all those nasty little germs that accumulate in 'free sample' or 'taster' bowls in supermarkets,how many unwashed germ laden hands dive in for the little cheese samples in Tesco's?

Peanuts on a bar must be the worst considering 75% of men dont wash their hands after going to the loo (apparently).

Gross!

#94 User is offline   richard Icon

• UberSuper Boarder

Posted 23 March 2012 - 12:09 PM

View PostJC, on 16 March 2012 - 17:04 PM, said:

Attachment IMG00286-20120316-1658.jpg

I just walked past :)

Suzanne was right.

So which is right, the website or the sticker!

The sticker! Answer below from the FSA.

Hello Richard

Firstly, many apologies for being late with a reply, this is our busiest time of year for inspections.

The food hygiene rating that Ropetackle Fish and Chips has on their door is correct. They had an inspection on 23rd February and were scored with a 1 (this is currently on the website). They then had a revisit on 8th March and were scored with a 5 as all of the required works were done. A new certificate would have been sent.

The site is refreshed every 10 days. However the reason for the 5 not appearing on the site is that the inspecting officer has not entered the correct code into the computer database, so that the new score did not get uploaded. I will see that this is rectified.

Thank you very much for drawing this to our attention.

Regards

Paula M*****

#95 User is offline   PaulOckenden Icon

Posted 23 March 2012 - 12:13 PM

Zero to Hero in 12 days. I'm not sure whether that makes me impressed with the establishment, or unimpressed with the inspection regime.

probably a bit of both.

P.

#96 User is offline   Suzanne Icon

• Platinum Boarder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 March 2012 - 15:00 PM

I think its good news if they really do keep the web site up to date. I also think it is good that the restaurant has taken the criticism seriously and has improved their score so much.

#97 User is offline   Spinalman Icon

• UberSuper Boarder
  • Icon
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 23 March 2012 - 15:05 PM

The website was upto date but wrong. That is unimpressive. How many other establishments are marked up with the wrong star rating?

#98 User is offline   JC Icon

• Super Boarder
  • Interests:Yes

Posted 23 March 2012 - 18:07 PM

Bit like an MOT really. Your car can pass one day and then the next be a death trap.

#99 User is offline   richard Icon

• UberSuper Boarder

Posted 23 March 2012 - 18:13 PM

Can't help it but the inappropriately named Shati comes to mind. I means it just conjures up in ones imagination.......best not go there!

Mind you we must be careful on here before casting nasturtiums and upsetting the sensitive of our readers. :wink:

#100 User is offline   thermo Icon

• Super Boarder

Posted 23 March 2012 - 20:01 PM

View Postrichard, on 23 March 2012 - 17:13 PM, said:

Can't help it but the inappropriately named Shati comes to mind. I means it just conjures up in ones imagination.......best not go there!

Mind you we must be careful on here before casting nasturtiums and upsetting the sensitive of our readers. :wink:

best currys in shoreham and you can see it being cooked, double bonus in my opinion

#101 User is offline   Spinalman Icon

• UberSuper Boarder
  • Icon
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 23 March 2012 - 20:56 PM

View PostJC, on 23 March 2012 - 17:07 PM, said:

Bit like an MOT really. Your car can pass one day and then the next be a death trap.

But in this case we asked why it had one star when it had actually got 5... The damage was done, and only by the persistence of a forum member was the truth found. That is unacceptable from a government agency.

#102 User is offline   johnjohn Icon

• UberSuper Boarder

Posted 23 March 2012 - 21:04 PM

View Postthermo, on 23 March 2012 - 20:01 PM, said:

best currys in shoreham and you can see it being cooked, double bonus in my opinion

I agree...they are my first choice (they also seem to have quite a few Asian customers!)
the problem is the waiting time for delivery...possibly due to their popularity.

#103 User is offline   green angel Icon

• green angel

Posted 23 March 2012 - 21:06 PM

View Postrichard, on 23 March 2012 - 11:09 AM, said:

The sticker! Answer below from the FSA.

Hello Richard

Firstly, many apologies for being late with a reply, this is our busiest time of year for inspections.

The food hygiene rating that Ropetackle Fish and Chips has on their door is correct. They had an inspection on 23rd February and were scored with a 1 (this is currently on the website). They then had a revisit on 8th March and were scored with a 5 as all of the required works were done. A new certificate would have been sent.

The site is refreshed every 10 days. However the reason for the 5 not appearing on the site is that the inspecting officer has not entered the correct code into the computer database, so that the new score did not get uploaded. I will see that this is rectified.

Thank you very much for drawing this to our attention.

Regards

Paula M*****

Excellent work Richard, and thanks for the post of their reply.

#104 User is offline   Ferryman Icon

• Super Boarder

Posted 25 March 2012 - 10:32 AM

View Postthermo, on 23 March 2012 - 20:01 PM, said:

totally disagree. The chicken is like rubber, suggesting it was previously frozen. I generally find the best curries are from establishments that dont have the need to offer a delivery service.

best one for delivery around here is PRITHI RAJ and ALISHAAN. Nearly always top notch.

Priti Raj's Dopiaza (vindaloo hot) is superb!

http://hungryhouse.co.uk/prithi-raj

#105 User is offline   miseryguts Icon

• Platinum Boarder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 March 2012 - 11:08 AM

had a curry from shamins last night, bit greasy but no deli belly today :wink:

#106 User is offline   Suzanne Icon

• Platinum Boarder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 March 2012 - 13:08 PM

View Postmiseryguts, on 25 March 2012 - 11:08 AM, said:

had a curry from shamins last night, bit greasy but no deli belly today :wink:

We had one last week from there. Not all that wonderful, chicken tika was in liquid instead of dry and lamb something or other was very greasy and made hubby feel rather ill.

#107 User is offline   green angel Icon

• green angel

Posted 25 March 2012 - 13:20 PM

Ferrymans post.
best one for delivery around here is PRITHI RAJ

Thermo and Trotter will have some thing to say about that as its in Lancing,, according to them there is nothing good that comes out of Lancing.

#108 User is offline   Trotters Icon

• Platinum Boarder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 March 2012 - 23:45 PM

View Postgreen angel, on 25 March 2012 - 13:20 PM, said:

Ferrymans post.

Thermo and Trotter will have some thing to say about that as its in Lancing,, according to them there is nothing good that comes out of Lancing.

Of course there are good things about Lancing, I may join in the occasional wind up but Iím not as negative about the place as you think. I worked in Lancing for nigh on 20 years and I still return to Lancing to have my beard trimmed ( itís those old sheep shearing skill that are second to none ). You will have to be a little more positive about the place yourself, throw down your shepherds crook, rip of your smock, beat your breasts and shout Lancing for England, Harry and Saint George!!!!
PS I have lived in Portslade for the last 35 years and you donít hear me complain, whats more thereís a Take a Away around the corner from me that you wouldnít walk your dog past.

#109 User is offline   thermo Icon

• Super Boarder

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:24 AM

View Postgreen angel, on 25 March 2012 - 13:20 PM, said:

Ferrymans post.

oh he does take it to heart! ;)

#110 User is offline   Tricky Dicky Icon

• Gold Boarder
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 March 2012 - 13:11 PM

View Postgreen angel, on 25 March 2012 - 14:20 PM, said:

according to them there is nothing good that comes out of Lancing.

The A27 ?

#111 User is offline   green angel Icon

• green angel

Posted 26 March 2012 - 18:59 PM

You just wait until you are gobbled up by either Brighton or Worthing, I would put my money on Worthing,

Lancing is a Parish and cant be gobbled up.

It will not be long before I will be reading complaints on how Shoreham is being shafted by Worthing Borough Council-- :lol: :lol: :lol:

There is talks going on that a Parish might be able to put a toll on roads going through a parish, part of the localism act.

#112 User is offline   PaulOckenden Icon

Posted 26 March 2012 - 19:07 PM

View Postgreen angel, on 26 March 2012 - 18:59 PM, said:

There is talks going on that a Parish might be able to put a toll on roads going through a parish, part of the localism act.

You could people charge people to get out of Lancing. That would raise a lot of money.

P.

#113 User is offline   thermo Icon

• Super Boarder

Posted 26 March 2012 - 20:33 PM

You just wait until you are gobbled up by either Brighton or Worthing, I would put my money on Worthing,

Lancing is a Parish and cant be gobbled up.

It will not be long before I will be reading complaints on how Shoreham is being shafted by Worthing Borough Council-- :lol: :lol: :lol:

well brighton or worthing, but at least we wont be stooping down to the level of the villagers!

#114 User is offline   green angel Icon

• green angel

Posted 26 March 2012 - 20:58 PM

View Postthermo, on 26 March 2012 - 20:33 PM, said:

well brighton or worthing, but at least we wont be stooping down to the level of the villagers!

Don't worry your pretty little head on that matter thermo, we wouldn't want you, although I could put in a good word for you as I have seen you swing a pitch fork when you cleared my garden rubbish, you reminded me of blot on the landscape :wink:

#115 User is offline   thermo Icon

• Super Boarder

Posted 26 March 2012 - 21:53 PM

thank you waldorf :lol:

#116 User is offline   green angel Icon

• green angel

Posted 26 March 2012 - 22:16 PM

If you care to donate £10,000 to my party Thermo I could arrange a dinner at my place and I would arrange the Chair of the Parish Council to attend to help proses your application to become a Parish resident. :roll:

#117 User is offline   thermo Icon

• Super Boarder

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:24 AM

10,000 for a ploughmans with the local yolkery....id rather have a mcdonalds :lol:

#118 User is offline   Fangio Icon

• Interests:All things mechanical, all types of transport, politics, and travel - chuck decent food and wine into the mixture.

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:10 AM

View Postthermo, on 26 March 2012 - 21:53 PM, said:

thank you waldorf :lol:

Waldorf and Stadtler....yep, that suits! :grin:
"Man, once surrendering his reason, has no remaining guard against absurdities the most monstrous, and like a ship without a rudder, is the sport of every wind. With such persons, gullibility which they call faith, takes the helm from the hand of reason, and the mind becomes a wreck"
Thomas Jefferson

#119 User is offline   PaulOckenden Icon

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:22 AM

View PostFangio, on 27 March 2012 - 10:10 AM, said:

Waldorf and Stadtler....yep, that suits! :grin:

Do you not think Waldorf looks a bit like Andrew? (Apart from not wearing a dead-cat hat)

Posted Image

P.

#120 User is offline   oldbean Icon

• Platinum Boarder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 March 2012 - 13:41 PM

With the locals standing by at the toll points with their pitch forks waiting for fare dodgers!!

View PostPaulOckenden, on 26 March 2012 - 19:07 PM, said:

You could people charge people to get out of Lancing. That would raise a lot of money.

P.

I've always thought that regarding Wales. Surely they would take alot more from people leaving than going in?!

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users