Shoreham-by-Sea Town Forums: 1440 Squadron Air Training Corps - Shoreham-by-Sea Town Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1440 Squadron Air Training Corps The Officers and Cadets

#21 User is offline   Suzanne Icon

• Platinum Boarder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Senior Member

Posted 12 September 2011 - 23:06 PM

I wonder if there is anything at all left inside. I knew about the fire and presumed it destroyed all of the interior. Did not know about Beagle using it for storage. Took some people round this morning and was able to point it out using the correct name. Thank you for the marvelous information.

#22 User is offline   Doug Attrell Icon

• Platinum Boarder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 September 2011 - 08:29 AM

View Postrichard, on 12 September 2011 - 10:43 AM, said:

Doug/Gerry

I've scoured the records but can find no reference to as I remember a Hawker Hunter crashing at Shoreham. Again as I remember (or was told) it was a jet pipe fire after aerobatics and the aircraft came in low, dragged it's wing tip and crashed. I saw some years later the rather disturbing investigation photograph of the pilot who appeared to be totally unscathed, except his head was pointing the wrong way. As I remember from the photographs the aircraft was in red and it clearly showed the charred paintwork as a result of a tailpipe fire.

Was it Shoreham?

Richard. After some research I suspect this was Hunter F.4 G-HHUN which crashed at Dunsfold on 5 June 1998 during a 'display practice'. Full report here --> http://www.aaib.gov...._pdf_502233.pdf

It was painted red as can be seen in this photo & the accident details seem to fit your description. http://www.flickr.co...cel/2492005191/

I could be wrong but don't recall a jet aircraft ever crashing at Shoreham. There have been very few accidents during an actual air display.

#23 User is offline   richard Icon

• UberSuper Boarder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 September 2011 - 09:16 AM

View PostDoug Attrell, on 12 September 2011 - 17:14 PM, said:

Richard. Are you sure it was a Hunter? Someone mentioned a similar incident involving a Meteor but I don't recall a Hunter or Meteor ever crashing at Shoreham. I'm sure I would have known about it.

Unfortunately the M218 prototype was destroyed when vandals set fire to the Dome in August 1969. :sad:

Doug. I was pretty certain it was a Hunter but maybe it was up at Dunsfold? The photographs of the crash were with the Crash Crew at Shoreham and I would say it was about three or four years ago that I was shown them. I can't find any AAIB archives that go back to, say the mid fifties to early sixties. Those that I have found, and there's quite a few Hunter prangs mostly attributed to the Avon compressor stall problems, are not in this area.

Yes I was still an indentured apprentice at Beagle in 1969 and just managed to get my time in before they folded. Great shame especially since I was being lined up for a scholarship at Redhill College of Aeronautics. Instead of that they kept all the apprentices on to the last knockings to keep the concern running and then I was offered a job down at Westlands in Yeovil or a job at Scottish Aviation up at Prestwick. That of course was where all the jigs and fixtures for the Pup and Bulldog were transferred to. Course I refused and was given the princely sum of three hundred pounds as a severance package along with my indentures and sent on my way! I think in those days there was something about that if you refused a job on offer, a reduced or even no redundancy payment was made?

I remember Wedgewood 'Tony' Benn sitting on the wing of a B206 in the new hanger and assuring us our jobs were safe. But he wasn't in the know and within the week the first redundancy notices went out! I remember thinking how sad it was that on that small plot were a group of engineers and skilled craftsman who could design and manufacture and put into production, apart from the power plant, a complete aeroplane and it was to be dissolved. And also on the side knock out cowlings and kits for Trident, BAC 111 and Boeing etc.

I didn't realise at the time what a rich source of knowlege I was swimming in and what good stead it would stand me in for the future. But I soon found an alternative rich vein at Ricardo, another highly skilled group laced with eccentric boffins to boot, which kept me occupied for the next thirty five years! :smile:

#24 User is offline   Spinalman Icon

• UberSuper Boarder

Posted 13 September 2011 - 10:10 AM

Explanation of Gunnery Dome Trainer:

#25 User is offline   richard Icon

• UberSuper Boarder

Posted 13 September 2011 - 11:20 AM

Found it. It was Dunsfold and more recent than I thought.

http://www.aaib.gov...._pdf_502233.pdf

#26 User is offline   Doug Attrell Icon

• Platinum Boarder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 September 2011 - 11:56 AM

View Postrichard, on 13 September 2011 - 11:20 AM, said:

Found it. It was Dunsfold and more recent than I thought.

http://www.aaib.gov...._pdf_502233.pdf

You obviously missed my earlier reply. :smile:

#27 User is offline   richard Icon

• UberSuper Boarder

Posted 13 September 2011 - 12:48 PM

View PostDoug Attrell, on 13 September 2011 - 11:56 AM, said:

You obviously missed my earlier reply. :smile:

I did, I did!

#28 User is offline   PeterW Icon

• Platinum Boarder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Family History

Posted 14 September 2011 - 15:06 PM

[quote name='Gerry Impey' date='30 November 2008 - 08:24 AM' timestamp='1228029860' post='17416']
In 1951, at the age of 13 years, i was recruited by Michael Dunstall, to join The ATC, the meetings then, were held
in the Dome, at shoreham Airport, a penny bus ride from the Red lion, to Withy Patch. >>>>

My sister was in the ATC there as well, about 1951/1952

#29 User is offline   Doug Attrell Icon

• Platinum Boarder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 September 2011 - 20:57 PM

View PostPeterW, on 14 September 2011 - 15:06 PM, said:

View PostGerry Impey, on 30 November 2008 - 08:24 AM, said:

In 1951, at the age of 13 years, i was recruited by Michael Dunstall, to join The ATC, the meetings then, were held
in the Dome, at shoreham Airport, a penny bus ride from the Red lion, to Withy Patch. >>>>

I suspect your sister was in the WJACs (Women's Junior Air Corps) Peter. Girls weren't allowed to join the ATC until the 1980s.

We were jealous of the WJACs as they had their own aeroplane. If I remember correctly it was a Fairchild Argus named 'Grey Dove'
(registration G-AIYO). http://www.flickr.co...rth/5546883008/

#30 User is offline   Gerry Impey Icon

• Super Boarder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 September 2011 - 08:47 AM

View PostDoug Attrell, on 14 September 2011 - 20:57 PM, said:

I suspect your sister was in the WJACs (Women's Junior Air Corps) Peter. Girls weren't allowed to join the ATC until the 1980s.

We were jealous of the WJACs as they had their own aeroplane. If I remember correctly it was a Fairchild Argus named 'Grey Dove'
(registration G-AIYO). http://www.flickr.co...rth/5546883008/

I recall Grey Dove flown by Diana Barnato Walker , flying in to Shoreham to give the WJAC girls a flight
on a number of occasions....The local WJAC was run by Miss Mavis Butler who lived in Worthing.....The music which introduced BBC Childrens television news, was called Girls in Grey......and was the 'March past' of the WJAC
I am still in touch with one or two ex members .

#31 User is offline   dormouse Icon

• Newbie Boarder
  • Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 16 March 2012 - 23:40 PM

[quote name='PeterW' date='14 September 2011 - 14:06 PM' timestamp='1316009181' post='39893']

View PostGerry Impey, on 30 November 2008 - 08:24 AM, said:

Hi, I was interested to hear of Michael Dunstall, Michael was my father and I'd like to find out more about his days in the Air Training Corps

#32 User is offline   RAH Icon

• Newbie Boarder
  • Pip

Posted 18 March 2012 - 16:57 PM

Attached Image

View Postdormouse, on 16 March 2012 - 22:40 PM, said:

ame='PeterW' date='14 September 2011 - 14:06 PM' timestamp='1316009181' post='39893']

Hi, I was interested to hear of Michael Dunstall, Michael was my father and I'd like to find out more about his days in the Air Training Corps

I have 1440 Squadron's photograph albums, the pictures date from approximatly 1940 to 1985. So far I have scanned approx 250 images and documents which include the 1944 Squadron news letter and pictures up to 1985.

The pictures inclued the Squadron at RAF Camp from about 1945 to the mid 80's. Unfortunatly, I do not have pictures for each and every camp. Gerry may be able to help to pin point the years wahen Micheal Dunstall was in the Squadron.

The plan is to load the pictures to a Facebook account so everyone can see and comment. Phil Houghton and I will then inviter everone to Phils pub for a pint and a chat (reunions too formal).

Please contact me if I can be of further help.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image

#33 User is offline   Spinalman Icon

• UberSuper Boarder

Posted 18 March 2012 - 18:20 PM

View PostRAH, on 18 March 2012 - 15:57 PM, said:

Attachment 1950 parade shoreham.JPG

I have 1440 Squadron's photograph albums, the pictures date from approximatly 1940 to 1985. So far I have scanned approx 250 images and documents which include the 1944 Squadron news letter and pictures up to 1985.

The pictures inclued the Squadron at RAF Camp from about 1945 to the mid 80's. Unfortunatly, I do not have pictures for each and every camp. Gerry may be able to help to pin point the years wahen Micheal Dunstall was in the Squadron.

The plan is to load the pictures to a Facebook account so everyone can see and comment. Phil Houghton and I will then inviter everone to Phils pub for a pint and a chat (reunions too formal).

Wow, what a wonderful resource RAH. May I ask if we may be able to have an additional copy CD to load into our SBS History archive? My reason for asking is that it would be a superb addition to the Gallery section in the History Portal. Secondly I am not a great fan of Facebook... but specifically for photographs as it is exclusive to Facebook users, the pictures become the property of Facebook, it is open to abuse, and the technical size and quality of galleries is poor. It also has no Google presence so people searching the web won't find the gallery.

Would you mind contacting me or Nelson via Personal message or email (click my profile) and I'd be happy to discuss this with you.

#34 User is offline   Gerry Impey Icon

• Super Boarder

Posted 19 March 2012 - 08:56 AM

View PostRAH, on 18 March 2012 - 15:57 PM, said:

Attachment 1950 parade shoreham.JPG

The photo of the band, shows Ken Winstone in forage cap at the rear, Mike Dunstall is shown in the file on the right facing....carrying a Cornet....The tall Cymbal player centre was a Ginger haired lad, who normally was the Drum Major....Guessing at the date of the photo 1947 Perhaps when the Queen was married....Interesting the
railway gates are shut, and the crowd is completely over the road.

#35 User is offline   oc.1440 Icon

• Newbie Boarder
  • Pip

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:06 AM

View PostDoug Attrell, on 13 September 2011 - 07:29 AM, said:

Richard. After some research I suspect this was Hunter F.4 G-HHUN which crashed at Dunsfold on 5 June 1998 during a 'display practice'. Full report here --> http://www.aaib.gov...._pdf_502233.pdf

It was painted red as can be seen in this photo & the accident details seem to fit your description. http://www.flickr.co...cel/2492005191/

I could be wrong but don't recall a jet aircraft ever crashing at Shoreham. There have been very few accidents during an actual air display.

Hi All,Strangely enough i had just qualified as an aircraft electrician on Sea Harriers after my apprenticeship at Dunsfold and was preparing for our annual air day, we where all out the front of the hangars watching the hunters and witnessed the fire and resulting crash, at one point he was headed for the hangars and i have to say we turn tailed and started to run however it seemed at the last moment he pointed back down the runway.

Yorkshire air museum is a craking museum by the way

#36 User is offline   dormouse Icon

• Newbie Boarder
  • Pip

Posted 12 November 2012 - 00:03 AM

Hi, just by chance come across your reply to my 2011 entry regards my father, Mike Dunstall, Shoreham ATC. Thanks, it was good to see my dad again, I've very few photos of him. I'd love to know more.
Dave Jones-Dunstall

#37 User is offline   Gerry Impey Icon

• Super Boarder

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:00 AM

View Postdormouse, on 11 November 2012 - 23:03 PM, said:

Hi, just by chance come across your reply to my 2011 entry regards my father, Mike Dunstall, Shoreham ATC. Thanks, it was good to see my dad again, I've very few photos of him. I'd love to know more.
Dave Jones-Dunstall

Hello Dave, did you see your dad, in the Squadron photo shown by RAH......He is in the front row, seated next to John
Sherwood on his right facing....the photo was taken at RAF Thorney Island in 1951...during Summer Camp... The CO was
Flt/Lt Sidney Coleman VR (T)...front row centre......

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users