For centuries Shoreham folk have earned a living from the sea and one hundred years or so ago the fishing families of Ratcliffe, Page, Laker and Maple were prominent. Perhaps the best known of them were the Maples who sold their fish and oysters from their shop at the west end of the High Street in one of the ancient cottages that once stood alongside the King’s Head pub. Continue reading “A Fisherman’s Tale – the Maple Family”
A chance swop of postcards between collectors Neil De Ville and Alan Humphries revealed previously unnoticed buildings on Shoreham Beach. The image is of the old Norfolk Suspension Bridge and across the river below the bridge span two large shed-like structures can be made out.
The image has been postitively dated as 1921 by local historians at the time when the Bridge was being prepared for demolition so what were the mysterious buildings for? Their location looked to be near Ferry Road and at first sight 1927 aerial photographs seemed to confirm this by showing their likely footprints on the beach, not just of the structures but also a concrete raft or apron on their seaward side. Continue reading “Shoreham’s Mystery Seaplane Base”
A selection of pages from a ledger of the Southdown Golf Club, Shoreham recording competitions and participants from 14th January 1911 to 3rd August 1914.
Beves Shed from ‘The Architect and Building News’ 14th October 1949
The names on this Roll of Honour have been collected from the memorials in Shoreham’s churches, cemeteries, the Commonwealth War Graves Commission, Soldiers Died in The Great War and includes many whose names are not shown on the town’s War Memorial. This record has been compiled independently of the Roll of Honour web site and includes more comprehensive information gleaned from Civil Registrations, Census Returns, Shipping Passenger Lists and some Service Records. Continue reading “Shoreham’s WW1 Fatalities”
A rare programme of a musical comedy at the old Coliseum that once stood at the between Ham Road and Brighton Road next to the Ham. No local people seem to be involved and the performers appear to be a travelling troupe probably based in London that also toured the provinces.
The theatre regularly staged revues from London and on Sundays supplemented these with a ‘programme of pictures’ – probably early movies that were later to replace the live shows entirely. Cakes, biscuits and non-alcoholic drinks were sold at each performance and the management seemed to consider it necessary to include a note in the programme that the theatre was regularly disinfected with Jeyes Fluid!
Familiar local businesses and shops of the period can be seen in the accompanying advertisements but one of lesser known was plumber Fred Barnes’ business – Barnes’ Baths two doors west of the Surrey Arms pub, that provided hot baths at a time when there were still many homes in Shoreham that did not have the luxury of piped hot water.